Will this 28-9 Mdl A worm & ring work in a TT?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Will this 28-9 Mdl A worm & ring work in a TT?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 07:15 pm:

Ran across this and wondered if it will work in my TT? Seems I read somewhere that the AA parts will interchange, but I my have been dreaming (wishful thinking?). Of course, if it's like mine (7.25:1) it's useless to me anyway. Anybody recognize from the picture or description if it is a 5.?:1 ratio?
Ray
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1928-1929-Ford-Model-AA-Truck-Bronze-Worm-Gear-A- TT-T_W0QQitemZ200206929232QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200206929232

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Gaffrey on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:32 pm:

Ray. 29 teeth on the bronze gear usually means 7.25-1 ratio. High speed gears have 31 teeth on the bronze gear and 6 on the pinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:36 pm:

Respectfully, more teeth on the bronze would be a lower ratio, not higher (unless the worm has a steeper pitch), right? Not trying to disagree, but the math ain't working :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:44 pm:

I do believe the internals from a AA will work in a TT but the houseings are different.

I had 1 and give it to a fellow in VA that had bought a truck it fit close by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

Thanks Mack, tried to call you minute ago bt you're busy:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:55 pm:

Oh,I am on handcrank,I mean dial up.I will get off here in a minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:04 pm:

I wish Ford would have described their parts better, but the picture really don't help much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

Ray you on the phone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:12 pm:

Handcrank That is funny
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Gaffrey on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 09:57 am:

Ray. My post was incomplete. the bronze gear with 29 teeth has a worm with 4, giving you a ratio of 7.25-1, the bronze with 31 teeth has a worm with 6 giving you a ratio or 5.16-1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:17 am:

Okay...I see now. Thanks for the clarification Rod. Makes sense now :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:22 am:

I bought an AA rear axle because it had the 5-1 ratio gears for my TT but the axle shafts couldn't be used because they were longer because of the 3/4 floating design used on the AA trucks. I didn't get the drive shaft so I don't know about that item's use on a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:02 am:

Bob, will the ring and worm definitely interchange from an AA though, if by chance I run across one with the 5:1 ratio?
thanks
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:42 pm:

Ray,

I'm 100% sure that someone discussed reproducing the high speed rear axle worm gear for the 1928 Model AA trucks. I'm 80% sure that they said the TT and AA were NOT interchangeable. And that they would entertain the idea of reproducing the high speed TT after they successfully did the AA and if there was enough interest in the project.

If no one remembers or knows for sure, I would recommend searching our site for reproduction AA worm gear and also http://www.ahooga.com/ or just posting the question on ahooga. "Who is reproducing Model A high speed rear axle worm gears?"

Good luck, and when you find out please let us known. I try to save that type of information so when the question comes up again we can find it easily.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration