Emergency brake lining Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Emergency brake lining Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

I have a 26 coupe And I got the 3/6 X 1 1/2 lining from Macmaster car
i installed it on the shoe with JB weld and clamped it inside a drum with about 7 clamps as to get it tight to the band. Then i ribited them on the next day.
Looked like a million ..But Now i can hardly put the tire on the axle because its rubing on the band and it takes effort to move with cam at rest.
I have noticed that the cam has some play still[gues its because it has some wear]
and i can see that the shoe cannot go any closer because the clams [4] that hold the shoe to the plate does not alow it .Question what is best way to extend the cut to move the shoe closer to the cam or what can i do to corect this
Thank You All ....Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G.Goelz Knoxville,Tn on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:21 pm:

Use a belt sander and take off some of the lining until it fits right.If you can find a brake shop that still has a machine to grind the old brake shoes thats better.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:30 pm:

Grinding and sanding the bands ? im afraid of the asbestos dust that will create..
If i can get the shoe to close further i can beat this with full lining
thank you Rick for the input ,.....larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:50 pm:

There won't be any asbestos. They can't use it anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:31 am:

Check and see if the shoes are round. They are easily warped oval and easily straightened. I found that with the 3/16 lining I had they had to be ground. Mine were also out of round. I used a hand held belt sander. Mine were asbestos so I combined a auto painters respirator with a sandblasting mask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

Maybe I can file the shoe some so it closes more
I see that the cam works on one of the legs of the shoe the other is a landing point
If not then i think ill have to belt sand as Richard G. first sugested
Thank you All ---Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:19 am:

Larry, the best way is with one of the small belt sanders that also has the vertical sanding wheel. The table is exactly 90 degrees and it is easy to take very light and accurate cuts until it fits perfectly. Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Sanford on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:17 pm:

Larry, Can you tell me the part number of the lining you bought from McMaster-Carr? I want to make sure I get the right one.

Does anyone else have a another source for this lining?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:50 pm:

#6175K113....Nonmetalic Molded brake and cluth lining 3/16 thick, 1 1/2 wide
unit price:$3.80 ft.
They only sell by the foot so i needed 6 feet to do my set

larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:12 pm:

James,. If you go this route ,I have found that if you use a worn shoe , usualy one leg is worn more than the other
placed with the worn leg[area where cam contact] towards the bottom, thats where the cam force is when you pull the brake handle and the thicker part of the shoe lug [place of cam contact] It will fit where you might not need to sand the lining.
I used a good shoe with little wear on both sides of contact and i had to sand and fit to loosen up the wheel E mail me if you require futher clarification, or if i havent explained myself well[not unusual]
leonlarry@hotmail.com

larry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration