Cracked Brake drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Cracked Brake drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 05:46 pm:

I have a cracked brake drum. I was wondering if the brake drum can be changed without separating the flywheel from the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hansen on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:02 pm:

No--I it will require an engine removal from the car, removal of the trans cover, the engine block, then the transmission. You could do it without removing the flywheel and transmission shaft, but it would be difficult to reassemble. Should be done on the bench with other repairs done as necessary. Bet you didn't want to read something like this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:10 pm:

I knew that the engine needs to be pulled, and the covers removed. But as I read you Jerry, the trans needs to separated from the Engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:47 pm:

No need to unbolt the flywheel. After the engine and trans assembly is removed, remove the tailshaft, the push ring, the discs, the disc drum and the three washers. The drums and triple gears will slide off the trans shaft. Then pull the driven gear off the brake drum hub and the three drums can be separated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks Richard. That's the info I was looking for.
Jerry, thanks for getting back to me so fast. This forum and guys like you two are a Godsend.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hansen on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:03 pm:

Steven I would think should you opt to remove the transmission without removing flywheel from the crank flange, it is an opportunity to check the transmission shaft run out and correct it if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:51 pm:

Thanks Jerry. This trans and engine was rebuilt last year and a used brake drum was installed at that time. I am not happy with some of the problems this rebuilder "fixed". So this is just part of the fallout. More will be checked as I install a new brake drum.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration