Front Axle Date?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Front Axle Date?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:11 pm:

I'm loading up parts to take to Chickasha, and this front axle is one of them. I like to put the years on the parts when I can, to help potential buyers. This axle has the following in relief:

Ford in script, then an H in a diamond, then 4 2 9.

Are these numbers a date code?

axle

There also is an AAX-8 (or 3) on the inner side of the perch boss, in case it matters:

AA

Thanks for any info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:08 pm:

Sorry Mike, the format for the dated axles I have and have seen is as this: 6 - 16 - 26

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:14 pm:

That's what I have seen, as well. That's why the single-digit 9 has me buffaloed. I'm not thinking it's an '09 axle, just wondering what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Chennell on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

Mike,

Here's a quick answer. I've tried to run down different from axles for a couple of projects, and here's some comments by Trent Boggess in the encyclopedia that I found most helpful:

"Two tidbits did come out of the front axle releases. First, trademarks in the forgings: one of the most commonly observed trademarks is “TW” in a diamond or circle. This is Transue & Williams. The second trademark is an “H” which stands for Herbrand. Technically, the axles produced by these two companies should be distinguishable. In Sept. 1920 Ford introduced a new design axle forging which was straight between the two spring perch bosses. The older design is curved between the two bosses. The older curved design was designated T-202-B1 and was made by Herbrand. Transue & Williams and Ford made the straight design which was designated T-202-B2. (The curved design referred to here is not the same as the late 1926 and 1927 where the middle of the top of the axle is about 1/2” lower, and presents a definite distinguishable curve between the perches, than on older designs.)"

So, sounds like it's pre-1920. It's obviously not a Dodge Brothers axle, so I'd say it's in the 1915-1919 range. But that's just my semi-educated guess. Could be older, too - Trent doesn't specify when Herbrand began forging axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:02 am:

I thought the "AAX" designated a different steel used '25-'27??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:41 am:

There were several companies that forged axles for Ford. I believe Herbrand was the only one that put the actual dates on them. I have one in my garage that says 5-24-25 on one side, and on the other it says 5-25-25!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:35 pm:

Larry, they must have been doing that axle when the quitting bell rang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 07:12 am:

Perhaps it was the midnight shift.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration