Degreaser...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Degreaser...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:10 pm:

I have been using Lowe’s Commercial degreaser in my parts cleaner with only marginal results in cutting/cleaning grease. What degreaser are you using in your cleaner with great results?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:24 pm:

I havent put anything in my parts washer in a while but the last stuff I used about 2002 was Varsol and at that time it was about 3.00 a gallon.I would hate to think what it cost now.But it would cut the grease.When it got a little weak and we was cleaning really rough stuff,we would add a gallon of white kerosene to "stretch" it a bit.
Call the local distributar for heating oil in your area and ask them about it,they can tell ye what it cost and if they have it.
Also ask them if they have suggjestions for disposal of it once it gets useless.

It is not a bad idea to look out for the enviroment to a point but some of this "green" stuff that is not harmfull to the enviroment,aint harmfull to the grease either.

Ncdot,where I was retired from, uses a citrus based degreaser and it works ok for recent grease and oil but I tried to clean some of my old stuff 1 day while my truck was being serviced and it aint to good on the caked on stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

I would like to do kerosean, used it years ago and ofcourse worked great. But I would like to stay green if I can. On the other hands I do need something that works, I will look up Varsol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Tosch on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:

Chris,

Varsol is what I use too and it's great. Varsol is a trade name for an oil base paint thinner, sometimes also called solvent. Check out Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc in the paint department for the stuff. It has various prices, so check around. It lasts a long time and the solids will settle out in the bottom of the parts washer.

Charlie Tosch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:28 am:

I just bought a 5 gallon can a keronse from Home Depot as a close out for $19.99 (Reg $36.00)
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:35 am:

I use paint thinner/mineral spirits/solvent. An old timer told me to add about 1" of water to the solvent. The solids settle through and the particulates seem to disappear. This tends to keep the solvent somewhat cleaner looking. I try to not place drippy oily parts in the solution.
I believe Stoddards solvent was an industrial standard years ago.
Pour the old dirty solvent in a 5 gallon container and use it for a pre-wash on really dirty stuff.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:09 am:

I had my parts washer filled by the local Safety Kleen service. I made the mistake of using a home brewed mixture and when it came time to move from Texas to California I had no end of trouble finding a way to legally dispose of 20 gallons of grease / diesel oil / mineral spirits mixture.

The varsol supplied by them lasts 3 - 4 years in my shop then I call and they swap out my drum for a fresh one. Its not free but it is environmentally responsible and legal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:59 am:

In NY, a homeowner can legally and safely dispose of greasy solvent and old paint once a year at a DEC-sponsored "clean-up" day. You have to sign a form swearing that you are not a business and you aren't disposing of anything that belongs or once belonged to a business. If not, they'll take it for free.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration