Latch removal from tudor door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Latch removal from tudor door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gord rolfe on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:50 am:

i am in the process of attempting to remove the door latches from a tudor 1926.these doors were cut down at the beltline and i want to recover and restore the latches .using kroil & impact screwdriver i have been able to remove the escutcheon screws on the handle as well as the 4 screws that hold the latch to the door. the thing that will not come out is the square shaft attached to the handle.this shaft is stuck in side the latch.i have tried tapping it from the inside with a punch .no luck .i am afraid to use too much pressure on it in case it damages the latch components inside. can any come to my help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:02 am:

Wow, that shouldn't be that big of a problem. At least not if it is at all like my '25. I know there were a lot of changes, but on my '25 the outside handle just slides onto the square shaft and is held there by the screws on the handle escutcheon. It has to be only rust holding it on there. I would just try soaking it a few more days with kroil. It should tap right off!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gord rolfe on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:04 pm:

tim i am not trying to remove the outside handle from the square shaft but want to remove the square shaft(complete with handle) from the latch .thanks anyway and i will continue soaking.gord

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:20 am:

Gord,
Just the same, the square shaft should come out of the latch. Seems to me it was no different than pulling the square shaft out of the latch on an old-fashioned household door latch from that era. Once you removed one doorknob you just slid the shaft out by pulling on the other knob.

In this case you don't have another handle to pull on of course. Methinks your shaft is rusted in place as has been suggested. Soak it with Kroil or some other penetrant. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil so don't bother with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:48 pm:

Gord,

Kroil is really good. If nothing else is worth saving on the door – just cut the latch out so you can put it in pail and submerge it for a couple of weeks and it should loosen things up. A picture would help – but based on your description it sounds like they cut the tops of the doors off to make a roadster/convertible (a common conversion). If some of the sheet metal is also worth saving, you can measure the door, and figure out how you can soak/submerge the handle while it is still in the door. One option I have seen is to purchase a “wallpaper” soaking tray (30 inches long 5 inches deep 5 inches wide or so). When you are done, pour the Kroil back into a container it can still be used again.

If that does not loosen it – you may need to brace the latch and tap the square rod out. If you don’t brace the latch – when you hit the square shaft the entire latch moves and you don’t get the jarring effect you really want.

Be patient and it should come loose assuming it wasn’t soaking at the surf line at the local ocean front beach.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gord rolfe on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 06:17 pm:

well glory be! this aftertnoon one of the square shafts with handle popped out of the latch after a smart whack with a punch & hammer.i never did get around to soaking it in a bath but sprayed it from the can of kroil every time i went by it and this is what i will continue to do with the other one .my thanks to tim,warren & hap.such helpful people on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 06:19 pm:

Gord,

Glad you got the first one out. The second one should work for you also.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration