Happy St. Patrick's Day - - OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Happy St. Patrick's Day - - OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

Here's one I hadn't seen before:

WHY ST. PATRICK'S DAY IS CELEBRATED EACH YEAR IN AMERICA

The reason the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day is because this is when St. Patrick drove the Norwegians out of Ireland.

It seems that some centuries ago, many Norwegians came to Ireland to escape the bitterness of the Norwegian winter. Ireland was having a famine at the time, and food was scarce. The Norwegians were eating almost all the fish caught in the area, leaving the Irish with nothing to eat but potatoes.

St. Patrick, taking matters into his own hands, as most Irishmen do, decided the Norwegians had to go. Secretly, he organized the Irish IRATRION (Irish Republican Army to Rid Ireland of Norwegians). Irish members of IRATRION passed a law in Ireland that prohibited merchants from selling ice boxes or ice to the Norwegians in hopes that their fish would spoil. This would force the Norwegians to flee to a colder climate where their fish would keep.

Well, the fish spoiled, all right, but the Norwegians, as every one knows today, thrive on spoiled fish. So, faced with failure, the desperate Irishmen sneaked into the Norwegian fish storage caves in the dead of night and sprinkled the rotten fish with lye, hoping to poison the Norwegian invaders. But, as everyone knows, the Norwegians thought this only added to the flavor of the fish, and they liked it so much they decided to call it 'lutefisk', which is Norwegian for 'luscious fish'.

Matters became even worse for the Irishmen when the Norwegians started taking over the Irish potato crop and making something called 'lefse'.

Poor St. Patrick was at his wit's end, and finally on March 17th, he blew his top and told all the Norwegians to 'GO TO HELL'. So they all got in their boats and emigrated to Minnesota, Iowa or North Dakota---- the only other paradise on earth where smelly fish, old potatoes and plenty of cold weather can be found in abundance.
-----

Trivia: Wish me Happy Birthday. I was born the year St. Pat's Day was also Palm Sunday, and until this year, Palm Sunday hasn't been this early since.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:57 pm:

Ralph,

Happy Birthday!

And as everyone knows, St.Patrick was born Italian, stolen by pirates as a child & dumped on the Emerald Isle. The Norwegian Thing was actually decided when they had the great "Iron Chef Boil off" where it was decided who made the blandest food. The Norwegions won & therefore had to leave.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

rdr
1836 A.D.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:42 pm:

Happy Birthday Ralph !! ..... any many many more to come .

Bob, Gail, Glenn & Scott Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian c lawrence on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:27 pm:

RDR,

You forgot to mention the colder than #@^% state of Wisconsin, Ive often made fun of my Nowregian ancestors for moving here!

Brian in Wi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:14 am:

Here in Minnesota we not only celebrate St. Patrick's Day but in 2 months the Norwegian contingent celebrates Syttende Mai (May 17th) when the Norwegians opened their National Zoo by putting a fence around Sweden.

Ralph, I grew up in a Danish/Norwegian family and yep, the food is pretty bland. I have my Lutefisk once a year just to remind myself how lucky I am that I don't have to eat it all winter long like my ancestors. We used to boil it in cheese cloth but now we bake it on a plank in the oven. When done, we toss the lutefisk out and eat the plank.

Even the Norwegian "treats" my mother used to make could only be considered special if one lived on oatmeal 364 days of the year.

I would love to come up with what I call a Scandinavian potpourri that smells like Christmas. Christmas in Minnesota is a combination of the smell of pine boughs, lutefisk and coffee.

Wallpaper was always replaced on New Years after the old stuff peeled off from the lutefisk fumes. They probably stuck the new stuff on using leftover rommegrot (the 'o's should have a slash thru them).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:20 am:

That's great, Warren.

There has always been a "close" relationship between Ireland and Norway. Back in the Viking days many, if not all, of the Long Ships the Vikings crewed were built in Ireland. Why? There was no good wood in Norway.

The Vikings founded Dublin in the 840's and it was under Nordic rule up to 1171. Plenty of time to build a fleet of Long Ships.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:19 am:

Just to tie St Patrick's Day to Model T's (so the thread becomes on, rather than off, topic) here are some of the cars from the St. Louis club in the parade last Saturday.

parade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel O'Keeffe on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:13 am:

Congrats on having T's on show for St Patricks Day

Greetings from Ireland

Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:33 am:

Noel, the St Patrick's Day parade in St. Louis was started in 1970 and has taken place every year since. The Model T Club has been represented in every one of them. One year in the 1980's, it was 8 degrees Fahrenheit, but one car showed up. About seven years ago, it was something like 28 degrees and snowing, and I was not only the only Model T in the parade, but the only antique car at all!

Beannachtai na feile Padraig!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

Dick, how do you say that in Dutch?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration