Where to buy one of these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Where to buy one of these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:12 pm:

I found this pic here on the forum (think it's Ron's) and would like to know if I should build one or simply buy it. Of course this all depends on cost factors. If we vote buying, where does one buy one? Is this a modern tool or T related?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:24 pm:

Chris
I am certainly no expert but this tool looks like it was designed for its very special set of limited purposes.(removing the screws that hold the field coils on a generator or starter.) It would seem to me to be something that a hobbyist would use very seldom unless you had lots of starters/generators to work on. I noticed at the top in the center what appears to be a product label. I would bet my last set of Kevlar bands that Ron Patterson can answer your question & probably has one of these tools. Just my 2cents worth.
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 05:47 pm:

Hey Chris - I believe that photo came from Bob Frink in my home state.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 05:50 pm:

It looks to me as being morphed from an 12 ton (China Express) press, a piece of 3" angle and some ingenius use of Acme thread.
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 06:48 pm:

Yes I am thinking I will build one was just curious if anyone had seen one at Harbor Freight or some other cheap import store. It's hard to build something vs. the knock off stores cost wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 01:55 am:

Yes, Steve, I posted it, but it is not mine. I stole the picture from the internet somewhere. It might have been from the Coilman.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Boyers on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 08:53 pm:

There are various ways to support the field housings to work on th epole shoe screws. You can support it in a piece of angle iron and use a press, but there is a chance of distorting the housing with too much pressure. Try supporting the housing with a 2" round iron bar through the case and support each end with a V block, then use the press to provide a minimal down force This works well when reinstalling the screws as it helps to keep the pole shoes at right angles to the case. You can even do this with an arbor press. Use a driver ground to fit the slot of the screw for best results.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration