Coil buzz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Coil buzz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By L. Terrazas on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:59 pm:

Ok, very new to the model t ford. I tuned the car up changing the oil, fan belt, spark plugs and gas inthe tank. When I switch the key to mag I get a strong buzz when I swith it to battery I hear nothing. It does have a new battery as well. Is this normal? Am I on the right track? When I tried crankinking only once did it seem like it wanted to start that was it. It is also a bit stiff dont know if it is supposed to be that way. One last thing when I crank it on battery then switch it to mag it sounds like it wants to do something, any help would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:36 am:

On my T if the key is turned fully clockwise the switch is on mag; fully counter clockwise and the switch is on battery and straight up the switch is off. If you get a coil buzz on mag and the engine is stationary you likely have a wiring circuit problem. That is, somehow the battery is connected to the mag post on the switch. I don't think that is a good thing and I'd immediately disconnect the wire on the engine mag post since you may risk demagnitizing your magnets. On the other hand if you get a coil buzz when cranking on mag you have a good magneto.
When the switch is on battery, the commutator contact is closed completing the circuit, and battery power is reaching a coil the appropriate coil should buzz. If not then you have either a wiring, switch, coil box or coil problem.
My T is stiff when cranking due to engine friction, compression, oil viscosity and drag in the transmission so I wouldn't worry about that. Put your hand brake on, be sure you have a free neutral, then sort out the wiring issue.
If the magnets were accidently discharged find some local T people and recharge the fly wheel magnets in chassis after correcting any wiring/switch issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:49 am:

and if you do have a wiring problem be very carful. know one guy that rewired his ignition switch wrong, didn't want to take the time to straighten it out and after getting his magnets recharged, switched to mag and smoked some wires under the dash. no more magnitism in the magnets, ie no mag output. suggest you get a wiring diagram and check your wiring. keep battery isolated from the magneto. john

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration