Rear Wheel bearing's...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Rear Wheel bearing's...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 05:45 pm:

Greeting's,

I will be replacing my bearing's soon. I am weary of used bearing's since they can wear unevenly and usually the "cage" that hold's the roller's is very flimsy. Mine are very loose.

The "new" one's that are availiable do not have the spiral grooves on them. However, and I think it was here, I thought I read that they are alright to use as long as they are packed correctly with grease. Also, are the cages on the new one's tight? Are they well built?

Is this true? How many of you guy's are running the new bearing's? Any problem's? How often are you greasing them? Are you using the fitting on the axle for greasing or are you taking them out each season and neading the grease into them like modern tapered roller bearing's?

Thank's,
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger K on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:43 am:

It's possible to find used wyatt bearings with stiff cages.
Take your caliper or micrometer with you to the swap meets.
Maybe loose cages can be reriveted, if the rollers still measure ok?

Be sure to buy the better quality new sleeves, made to match Ford's specifications.

The worst problem with the solid roller repro bearings isn't the lack of "grease grooves" - it's the lack of flexibility. The original rollers were made as a tight wound spring, able to flex just enough together with the axle. No stress points at the ends with extra high loads.

If you haven't got time to search for good originals, better replacements than the solid rollers are made - there are different types of floating rear hubs available from the vendors. More expensive, but also safer - less chance to break an rear axle, and if it still breaks - the wheel has a chance to stay on the car.

For the driveshaft, pinion side, Fun Project's modern replacement should be your safest option.
http://www.funprojects.com/search.cfm?querystr=bearing&querytype=all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:25 pm:

Steve
If you check the inboard ones (beside the differential) they usually have a lot less wear, probably better lubrication and less load. Other than that I only use the large ball bearing, what I call "full floater" style as a replacement if I can not find good originals. Yes they cost a little more and require cutting off the end of the axle housing. The advantage is that if you break a axle or the axle nut comes loose you can not lose a wheel.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration