GM Model T Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: GM Model T Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 07:26 pm:

A friend's 1926 detachable transmission band ear has GM cast or stamped in it. Did GM ever make any of these bands or does GM stand for some other company than what we think of today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:

James,
I was helping a friend get his 15 touring back on the road and kept having problems with one band that we simply could not adjust properly. The band was low/high......high would work but we ran out of adjustment for low. Could not understand why the band ears were much closer on this band compaired to the other two bands. All had new lining.
Finally, we pulled the hogs head and discovered the the quick change ear on the band in question was marked GM. Close inspection revealed the GM ear did not fit like the standard quick change ears. I dug thru my band stash and found a quick change ear that matched the other's. This is all it took to correct the problem! My friend picked the three quick change bands complete with ears from a local swap meet and did not notice the one ear marked GM. and I did not notice it when attaching the new linings.
Checking with another friend, I was told that the GM ear came out of an automatic trans. made by GM. Please toss the GM marked ear in the trash so some other model T owner does not become another victim. I consider it to be a dirty trick for a person to mix a GM ear on a set of quick change bands and sell them as being correct. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger K on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:56 am:

Oh, don't toss useable car parts in the trash, even if it's GM and post war - there are gearheads looking for '50s and '60s stuff too.
Mark it "NOT T" with a felt pen and bring it to the swap meet?

By the way - they have a centennial this year, too:
http://www.arthritisautoshow.com/2008gminfo.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:26 am:

I have a set of GM bands in one of my cars. I doubt they have anything to do with General Motors, most likely an aftermarket outfit that sold parts for Ford cars. Trick is to have the entire GM band, not just the removeable ear which doesn't work right with a Ford band as noted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:38 pm:

Warren,
Thanks for your input, I learned something new today thanks to you. Roger, I agree, however....after all the grief it caused....I quickly pitched it in the trash. "Smile" It's not the worst thing I ever did. Les

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration