Engine stand helper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Engine stand helper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

Because I have a bad back and found it awkward, to say the least, to rotate a T engine assembly while on my engine stand, I added this 60:1 worm drive reduction gear to facilitate things.
Thought maybe some of you may be interested.

worm drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:22 am:

That is an absolutely brilliant idea. Where did you find the gear reduction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth H. Todd on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

I got the gear reduction at a swap meet, for $30, brand new.
The same one at a local industrial supply house was $100.
It wasn't my original idea, I had previously used a 4000 lb capacity engine stand on a large Cat engine and it had a built in worn drive so I got to thinking about how to modify mine.
Another way I heard about was to mount a flywheel or flex-plate on the central shaft and then mount a starter gear somehow with a crank on it, but then you have to have a way to lock it in position.
This one stays wherever it's stopped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

I think you can buy one like this at Napa Auto.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration