Trick Spray booth :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Trick Spray booth :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 03:32 pm:

I'm getting close to spraying the Speedster http://www.customfurniture.net/speedster/
so I thought you might be interested in what I came up with for a booth. The black pipes coming out of it connect to a 2800 cfm dust collector outside. I've still got to put down a plywood floor over the plastic so I can walk around without the plastic sticking to my feet from the overspray. This is 6 mil visqueen, duct taped to the hoist in the up position, but you can probably see that.

Rod

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

Pretty neat. Make sure it is completely sealed, or you will have a fine overspray all over your clean garage. Also, make sure the suction from the pipes does not create an implosion of the plastic sheeting due to unequal pressure.Kinda like sucking air out of a plastic bag...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

If it is totally sealed up Don, it will do just that. We have a similar setup, but the plastic is attached to the ceiling and rolls up on PVC pipe when not being used. Takes about 10 minutes to drop it all down and clothes-pin the corners. The plastic has to have an opening to let in fresh air equal to the amount of air being drawn out by the exhaust fan. As long as the fan is drawing in air, there won't be any overspray going out. We also put plastic on the floor and wet it. Feet don't stick to it, and any dust tracked in won't be as apt to get in the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 04:16 pm:

By the way, our exhaust fan is placed in a window and attached to the plastic with a 6" flex pipe similar to yours, Rod. The best painting time (here, anyway) is about 3-5 AM since the bugs and such seem to go to bed during that time of the morning. We have bombed the shop the day before when getting ready to paint, as the fumes from the paint will bring out bugs that are already there but you don't see. Since I started using HVLP guns, the plastic room is even that much better. The old siphon gun made enough overspray that even the fan couldn't keep up but the air stays clear now with HVLP. Looks great Rod! Looking forward to seeing the final result!
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 04:33 pm:

Don,
Yes, when turning on the dust collector, the sides began to collapse, but that's the beauty of the
plastic walls. I just started cutting holes in it until the pressure stabilzed (pretty neat).

Ray,
I'm not sure what would be the best time (bug wise) to spray, but it's early enough in the year (Oregon) that I'm not too worried about the little creepy criters.
I may go to an HVLP gun. For 25 years I sprayed lacquer with a pressure gun (on furniture, I'm a retired custom furniture maker). I was going to use lacquer for this job, due to its fast drying time, but with this spray room I may opt for a base/clearcoat application?

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

That 2800 cfm exhaust fan just might shrink-wrap your speedster if makeup air is too restricted!

My buddy used a similar setup in a double garage to paint his jet boat... his makeup air came from a 24"x24" opening in the plastic into which he fitted a cheap disposable furnace filter to help eliminate any bugs and dust from the air being drawn in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris S. Hill on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:12 pm:

Rod,

Sweet Garage, will you adopt me and my T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 04:45 am:

Rod, most of the urethane BC/CC (such as DuPont Chroma) is a lot like using lacquer, except the clear dries a bit slower. The base flashes as fast as lacquer did, and you can make quick work of the color coats just like with lacquer. I use House of Kolor mostly anymore (Valspar product) and the base is the same way. The clears are great to work with (but unlike lacquer it is easy to run if you don't watch close), but your respirator better be up to par and you really need goggles because it irritates the eyes pretty good.

Still, its hard to get that old lacquer look :-)
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:00 am:

If I had a place as absolutely AWSOME as that, I'd build another place to paint cars in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:15 am:

I was in a factory where they did the same thing with plastic.For air inlets they cut the plastic and taped house AC/Heat air filters in place. This way all of the incoming air was filtered, no dust, hair, bugs etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:56 am:

Several years ago, when I was still flying airplanes, my A & E built a similar setup, he used household flters for both inlet and exhaust. His door was simply an overlap of the plastic. Painted a bunch of stuff on my airplane and never got a drop outside. Beautiful Shop you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:14 am:

Thanks guys for all the tips/tricks. I've got some time before I spray, so I'll be incorpoating some of these, especially the filter system.

Ray,
I've sprayed BC/CC before (The Miata and trailor ). What I'm hoping to avoid is having to color sand or sand out runs, on the speedster. With all that ribbing on the body, it's not something I would look forward to.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:35 pm:

Rod.....

You just suck! I thought in another 3 months or so, I would have my Tudor finished and be able to enjoy just driving it. Now, I have a floor to checkerboard, walls to paint, shelves to build, and an antique juke box to find! Dang it anyway! lol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 01:37 pm:

Tim,
Just stick to driving the “T” its more fun anyway. What you see here are the manifestations of an over active mind, waaay tooo much time on my hands and an insatiable puttering affliction. My wife walks in here and says “This puttering has got to stop”. She has no sense of humor. ;). Actually she is into this about as much as I am. She bought the Model A back in about 96 and loves riding around in the “T’s”.

Rod

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration