OOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAAA HORN?????????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: OOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAAA HORN?????????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:06 pm:

Ok, I just bought an aaaaaaaaaooooooooooggggggggaaaaaaaaa horn. It doesn't work! :-(

It was cheap, so I took a chance. Is there any chance I would be able to fix it myself? Anybody know what to look for? There is a contact in the top. Should this have a set gap? It looks adjustabe, but there is no gap right now. The contact is closed tightly. When powered, it does absolutely nothing. Any ideas? Here is what it is:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:41 pm:

That looks like a beep-beep horn to me....not an oogha horn.
You should be able to get the dome off and look around inside.
Oogha horn has an electric motor and a beep-beep has just a coil of some kind and a set of points that are probably dirty.
Good Luck!
I have a '24 Tudor, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

Bob,
You are actually right, I used the aaaaaaaaaaaooooggga horn turm a little loosly there.

In the past half hour I learned a lot about horns. I had already taken the cover off before my post. I went back out and played with the adjustment screw. I then used a voltage meter and checke at the end of the power wire where it is soldered inside. No power....bad wire.

I went from my truck battery back into the shop and soldered a new wire in place. I returned to my truck battery in a semi-lit garage and ducted under the hood. Sitting on the shroud of my truck radiator I had a hot cup of coffee.

Expecting nothing, I leaned in, layed the horn on the ground terminal and touched the wire on the possitive turminal.

What happened next was not pretty......

There was a VERY LOUD OOOOWWWWWWHHHHHH sound, sending my head up into the underside of the truck hood. My right arm jirked the wire off the battery sending my coffee out of the cup and up my right arm. In the process, I jumped backward spearing the garage door handle into my kidney about 4 inches!

The good news is....my horn is fixed!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:20 pm:

Bob,
Is this the type of horn in yours? I think I am right that this is the correct horn....NO? If I understand correctly, the true aaoooggaahhh horn was from the model A. Is that right, or am I confused?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:

hey, got mine on and working. my t is a 24 too. john
oooga horn installed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:44 pm:

T horns sound like a sick cow lowing, a model horns have the aoooga sound as do some chevy horns but who cares what horn you have if your not trying to win the concourse trophy. Good luck sounds like you got a jump start on your horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Jeandrevin on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:09 am:

John, that is very much what my horn sounded like. It was like an old cow had snuck up behind me, mooed and shoved her horns in my rib cage! lololol

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:51 pm:

Tim,
Mine has an oogha horn just because that's the noise I wanna make.
I don't think that's the correct horn for your T...but I don't know what it came from.
I think the T horn has a more squared-off cover.
Oogha horns are more fun in a parade. That's the sound people expect these cars to make.
My Ts are drivers, so having the wrong horn is OK.
The spilled coffee and jab in the kidney is a pretty high price to pay for a horn!
Good luck...you're doing a great job on your car and really fast, too!
Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration