A good day at Chickasha

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: A good day at Chickasha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

I found a good radiator shell and some needed minor parts, so it was worth the trip. Here are some pictures, beginning with the pizza feed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

Lots of old cars and parts and best of all lots of Friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:08 pm:

Steve: Thanks for the pictures. How were the pizza makers Patterson & Regan ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:56 pm:

Hey Steve, can you tell us what kind of truck that was? quite cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:30 am:

If you would have traveled in on Tuesday night you would have thought this was going to be the worst ever. The weather was dangerous at best. Wed. started out very cold in the morning (low 40's) but became short sleeves weather by noon, clear skies and tons of trucks and trailers laden with old car parts. The best part of waiting in line for the gate to open at 4:00 pm was the frenzy of vendors buying parts from vendors. The facts are what they are. If you were knowledgeable. You could get some great bargains, I saw a Model T engine stand with the actual rolling base sell for 220.00 and then change hands three times during the next day. The price ended up with the last guy that purchased it at above 600.00. Carbide generators for 14/15 going for 250.00 in like new shape and a brass generator in excellent shape for 500.00. Ruckstells selling for 300-800 and decent fenders for a low of 15 to as high as 250.00 each. Funny thing was that wire wheels and hubs took a big leap from last year. 25 to 50 last year for most but this year more in the 75-100 range. Wire hubs were ridiculous. ranging from 75 to as high as 150 each. Of course there were out layers that sold for much less or much more but the range on average was what was stated. It appeared to be less vendors overall but that may have been because several sort of got together at one booth sight. I saw a lot of early stuff this year as compared to last year. Saw three open valve engine blocks several old frames and cast iron ended radius rods. As you saw from the previous pictures posted several early cars were here and some sold for high dollar. I saw a 15 roadster sell for almost 20k. It was a true beauty. The Pizza party that was paid for by the vendors who are regular posters was just great. John, Ron, Don and any others that I have left out, thank you. By the way the cake was awesome. Bobs was here this year along with the regular supporters of the swap meet- Texas T parts, Coker tire, Howells, Fun Projects, Coilman Coils and many others that should be mentioned but due to the lateness of this post I have failed in mentioning. I would like to thank all of them big or small, business or hobbyist for making the start of the meet as wonderful as it has been so far. Last but not least is the fellowship that i have experienced here from the forum gang. Putting the face with the name and acting like we have known each other forever. Good friends, good food all in for a good time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:30 am:

The truck is a Chase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:37 am:

Anyone know what sort of prices those lamps above were selling for? And what the open valve heads were selling for???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:49 am:

That 15 touring in the third to last photo on the first post looks like the one that has been on ebay umpteen times in the past few months.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 01:24 am:

Great photos...wish I could have gone:<.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 01:37 am:

Steve,
Thanks for the Pictures & supportive words. I asked a friend that was there to look for a DB front axle for out 13 touring. He called amd said he had found one for $850.00 and did I want it? I replied....After catching my breath!....No! I wanted one but not at those prices. Our 13 is an original & mostly correct car and I know the history on the car....for what ever reason, some one changed out the front axle. I was expecting to pay something closer to $200.00. Am I "Out to lunch" on what a DB front axle is going for? You can not see the DB when going down the road and changing out an axle is not allway's easy. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:40 am:

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Living in Maine and not having a large T budget I am unable to go to the big swap meets and I've been curious to know what's really there. Looks like a lot of good parts and some really neat old cars to look at. Also sounds like you had a good time.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micheal Crowe on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks Steve for the update with pictures for those of us that have to work and cannot get there for all the fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:34 pm:

Not sure what a "DB" front axle is but I just saw this axle for $20.00.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pts/612964736.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 02:59 pm:

Mike;

DB front axles were made by Dodge Bros. and can be found on '13 and earlier Ford cars (and probably some early '14 models). They were a major supplier of Ford parts prior to going into the automobile business themselves. Quite a number of forgings and certain machined parts were marked DB so the early brass folks like finding these parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:10 pm:

The 10th pix shows a T roadster and a pickup box. Anyone know what a pu box goes for ? I have a '25 roadster that I would like to have a box for.You can email me if you have some thoughts. Thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Schild on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:29 pm:

Thank you Warren. I didn't put DB together with Dodge Bros. Talking about a ford. I just saw a front axle listed as a Model T or Model A axle for $20 and thought of this thread.
Again, thanks for the education. There is so much knowledge passed thru this forum, I know that I have learned and shared in the month or two that I have been on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 05:23 pm:

It was past my bedtime when I posted the pictures, but now I have time to add a little more blather. In the first two pictures the pizza party hosts watch the food disappear. The second and third shots, I hope, show the beautiful quality of some of the goods for sale. I don't have a brass-era vehicle to restore, so I didn't check prices on the lights. I was very impressed by the like-new restorations offered not only by these two vendors, but also Russ Furstnow's speedometers, Wally Szumowki's field coils, and several others. Stan Howe had some very nice rebuilt Ruckstells. The Red Oldsmobile was a nice restortion. That thing sitting on the ground in front of the Chase truck is its hood. The big blue Cadillac had no engine in it, so a fellow could drop in a Chevy 350, chop and lower it, and have a really cool ride. The blue Model A had original paint except for the wheels, and original interior except for a Naugahyde seat. The big Franklin with its hood open is all original, and for sale by the second owner. The remaining A's and the 1940 Chevrolet were pretty restorations, but I wonder if the metal flake paint job on the Chevy is legit. If I had the money and the space and was picking a car to take home, I think it would be that sweet little Ford runabout. Since I wasn't selling anything, I just took one day off. I went down Wednesday after work to shop on Thursday. The weather was wonderful, which isn't always the case at this meet. There have been times when I was there for the whole meet, to sell, and after a day of cold north wind was really ready to thaw out with a couple bowls of hot & sour soup at the Chinese buffet. This is one swell meet, and I expect I'll go again next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roscoe on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:18 pm:

Where do you find the DB markings on an axle? I have a stack of front axles out in the shed, maybe I have a few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:58 pm:

Simon,
I glanced at the brass headlights as I passed the table and it looked like they were priced at around $2,000 to $2,500 a pair. Don't know about the rest of the lights. Saw a B Rajo for like $3,500 to $3,800. I am not an over head valve guy but the guy that rode down with us is. He runs a BB Rajo and he said the one at Chickasha, advertised as a BB, was a really a B. There was also a Fronty SOHC, don't know what model, but it was $4,300 I believe. This is what they were asking, don't know what they would take.

I bought/found very little, only bought a pair of early cast firewall brackets and the new speedometer book from Russ Furstnow. From what little I've read of the book, it is neat! Pizza party was great and much appreciated!

Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

DBaxle

Spindles are marked, too.

DBspindle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken parker on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:24 pm:

Roscoe,
On mine it is a "DB" within a small oval under the axle part number "T-202" that is located on the web of the axle between the spindle and spring perch. My axle is marked both sides and shows on the front, drivers side and back passengers side.
Ken in Houston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:28 pm:

Hi Verne,

You don't know who the vendor of the lights was do you? Or any one else know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:32 pm:

Alex,

Could you please have your friend Andy Ruffles contact me? His email bounces when I try to send to him.

Thanks!

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:07 pm:

Done now Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:14 pm:

Steve,I was at the pizza shin dig and had a spring in the truck fer ye and didnt know you was there.Next time I git around you fellers I will have to use a piece of masking tape and write my name on it so everybody can fiqure out who I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

Roscoe and all,
If someone has an extra DB front axle that is usable & priced with in reason please contact me. I have an early 13 touring which should have a DB axle. I try to refrain from asking for any parts on the Forum and do not want to spoil what the forum is all about. I have helped others on the forum that needed a part if I had an extra. Thanks for your understanding. Les

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration