Adjusting a Stromberg OF Carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Adjusting a Stromberg OF Carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frnak Olsen on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:24 am:

We have a Stromberg on a T, but can't get it adjusted right. The float is leaking gas out the throat and we are spewing smoke. Any help out there?
Thanks, Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:55 am:

Frank,

For a start I would take the carb off the car, turn it upside down, and make sure the float shuts off the fuel inlet when the carb is inverted. If not, find out why and fix that. The float mechanism gets flat spotted in these carbs and some times you have to smooth the linkage to keep it from sticking.

Next you should remove the float and make sure it does not leak by submerging it in water and looking for bubbles.

I've got the tuning instructions around here some place and will try to post them for you, but they won't do any good if the float will not shut off the fuel.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:22 am:

Thanks, Royce we will do that. I think the float is trying to work because it leaks more when we were trying to adjust it. Which way do you turn the top adjuster to lower the float? I guess we will see when we pull it off.
Thanks
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:38 am:

Frank, The more the float needle threads show above the nut the higher the gas level in the bowl will be. Same applies in the other direction. Less threads showing above the nut the lower the gas level in the bowl. Once you find a good gas level for your set up place a small mark with a felt tip pen on the nut and on the top of the needle. On one of my Stromberg's the nut used to vibrate up the threads during driving and eventually set the gas level so low it shut the engine down. I eventually put a drop of the light duty lock-tite on the threads once I found the correct level for this particular T and the nut stays put now....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:49 am:

If the float is leaking, gas will be sloshing inside. It's not easy to purge out of the float, as I can attest.

"Flyin' Flamin' Floats," . . Here I am, confessing to a whole new generation of Forum lurkers. That was 1997; isn't there a statute of limitations?

Here it is:

Float in the 5H Winfield sank - again. . I was in a rush to get the car going, so:

Mistake #1: decided to boil the gasoline out of the float on the gas stove in the kitchen by setting it directly on minimum flame.

Mistake #2: stepped out of the kitchen for a second to answer the front door.

Action: gas flame went higher on its own.

Event: I stepped back into the kitchen just in time to hear a pop!, and see the float flying into the air and onto the wood floor, trailing a large flame, and then spreading across the floor.

Reaction: PANIC! . I snuffed the flames with a towel. The varathane coating on the floor was undamaged, so wife never learned of it.

Result: float was voided of gasoline, and I merely re-soldered the seam.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

Thanks guys, I may not try the Ricks method! Funny..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:28 pm:

It's easy to laugh at our past mistakes. Hopefully we can learn from them. I bet Ricks wasn't laughing while he watched that flaming float arch across the kitchen! Thanks, Ricks, for warning those of us who haven't had that experience.
Noel

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration