Are Canadian (Eh!) Demountable Clincher rims the same as 1919-24 USA Kelsey rims?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Are Canadian (Eh!) Demountable Clincher rims the same as 1919-24 USA Kelsey rims?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:27 am:

Are all Canadian 30 x 3 1/2 Demountable Rims the same style as the USA Kelsey Demountable Rims that have the lose lugs (i.e. not permanently attached to the rim)?

Wow – Rims are more complex than I originally envisioned. Ray from down under is looking for some Kelsey 30 x 3 1/2 demountable rims. I would just like to verify that the USA made Kelsey rims are the same shape and size as the demountable rims used by Ford of Canada. At http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/39491.html there is good support that probably all Canadian Fords with 30 x 3 1/2 demountable rims used a rim that had removable rather than permanent lugs attached. And that Canada basically had one style 30 x 3 1/2 demountable rim the worked on all 1919-24 rather than the 5 rims the USA Fords used. But so far I have not found anything that states the Canadian Rims are the same as or suitable substitutes for the USA Kelsey rims and vice versa. I think they probably are. But it would be a “bummer” to ship two USA Kelsey rims to Australia and discover they didn’t work.

I did find that the 1927 USA and 1925 Canadian parts books used the same part number for the Canadian demountable 30 x 3 1/2 rim and removable lug, bolt, and nut as the USA Kelsey parts. But the Jan 1, 1925 Canadian parts book does NOT include the factory numbers which would allow me to cross check them with the USA factory numbers that are listed in the USA price list. The 1923 Canadian parts book (price list) adds a little doubt because they have “A” rather than “B” suffix for the 2846 removable lug. But the Jan 1 1925 Canadian price list shows only the “B” suffix and that it fits all the previous years in addition to the 1924 year.

From the Jan 1924 Service Bulletin, the USA Kelsey rims are the number 2845 profile below:

They use the 2845-B lugs shown below (the 2845-C go with the 2845-C rim above):

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pick up truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:19 pm:

Hap,
I'm so glad you are familiar with our Canadian lingo :-)

I catch myself saying "eh" ALL the time! Ha Ha!
Thanks for today's smile and chuckle!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration