What is everyone's top speed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: What is everyone's top speed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris S. Hill on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:45 pm:

So what is everyones top speed? My T is stock with a running but tired engine and today I finally got her running again and using a Garmin Nuvi to get my top speed I was able to get 32 mph on straight level ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the T rear end is a 4 to 1, right? And I know I read somewhere hear that the T engine seems to make the most power at 1,750 RPM. So if my math is right the top speed of a stock T is about 39 mph?

I'm just trying to get a baseline.

Oh, yeah, its a '15 Touring and I have been running on battery. I have to try to do a in car recharge in the upcoming weeks, my mag is only putting out at max 3 volts.

Thanks,

Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:02 pm:

Chris,

Stock gearing is 3.64:1 which gives almost 25 mph/1000 rpm. So, your car is turning some 1250 rpm at 32 mph.

My 3.00:1 geared speedster with a full windshield and stock engine will do at least 50, but not with me behind the wheel. 50 is just past the best power speed of 1,600 rpm with 3.00:1 gears.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

My 1924 Touring - stock - is very happy at 35 mph. I can get 40 mph on level ground or downhill, but things are starting to vibrate at that speed and I feel less comfortable. I doubt I've ever had it over 45 mph.

This doesn't jibe with posts I've seen from others here who talk of getting a stock T up over 50, but that has been my experience. By the way, not only is my T happy at 35, but so am I. I didn't buy the car to go fast... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

Chris,
I was told my Speedster will do 75. Like Seth, it aint going to be doin 75 with ME in it! But I have had it up over 50 - Stock cam, stock pistons, Ricardo head, distributor, and a pair of 1-barrel Zenith downdraft carburetors that we can't talk about on this Forum!
Speed's fun, but scary in a T. - I cruise it at about 40.
Enjoy the scenery, and besides, when you're going slow, you can hear all the neat stuff the other drivers are yelling to you!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G.Goelz Knoxville,Tn on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:23 pm:

I have had my 26 coupe up to fifty several times on level ground most recently on the Mid- winter tour in Florida,BUT the best speed is about forty as the pucker factor rises in proportion to speed,thirty to thirty five is most comfortable.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:28 pm:

Chris,

I cruise in my '15 touring at 30 - 35 MPH. It will go as fast as 45, maybe a bit more. I don't feel safe over 35 though due to the braking distance required and my 92 year old wood wheels. It has the stock 3.64 rear axle, same as yours. It was balanced when rebuilt which makes cruising at 35 much more pleasant.

A stock T with cast iron pistons often vibrates too much to go much over 35 comfortably.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:30 pm:

Those folks that talk of their stock Ts doing over 50 mph are likely cheating with a Z or other high-compression head.

My favorite speed is probably about 30 mph, just over 1000 rpm with my car's gears. Acceleration from 30 mph is far better than from 20 mph.

Remember that there is about twice as much kinetic energy at 43 mph as there is at 30 mph, which means it takes about twice as far to stop from 43 mph as it does from 30 mph.

Stopping is the main reason I prefer driving slow, but dancing floorboards comes in a close second!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:40 pm:

why, just today the city set up one of those tell you your speed thingys, so i fired up the t. warmed it up some and went to the next corner and gave it all it has. only had a block to gain speed, which wasn't enough run to get full speed, and when i went past the sign it said 38 mph. was still gaining slowly but had to slow down for the next corner. john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 08:42 pm:

I have a stock engine in my speedster with model a wheels & holly carb & vw dist had it up to 55 but it is scary at that speed & havent done it but once ,hit a bump & it will change lanes....35 is a good cruising speed & a touring car is heavier & feels better driving...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sizemore on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:18 pm:

Our 27 Touring would run 50-55 all day long and would top out about 63. Junior the Speedster would hit a little over 90 with 3to1 and a warford. Most of the cars we build will run 50 comfortably. We do have some exception the 14 touring will run about 40 tops and is scary.
JS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:20 pm:

With a 3:1 Ruckstell, Z Head and Stipe Cam ican hit about Mach .07087 :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Augustin, Olathe Colorado on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

The Yellow 27 Roadster Pick-Up in my profile would run down the road at 50 before I wore the engine out, we also had a 24 Tudor years ago that would go around 50 as well and the most it may have had was a reground cam.

Kyle Augustin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

Chris: I have a 1915 Touring with the original engine. It has been rebuilt with standard size aluminum pistons, and it came with a 1912 "fingerprint" head on it (4 1/2: 1 compression). Other than that, my car is stock: original 3;64 rear end;running on magneto,Holley G brass carb, no ruckstell, no rocky mtn brakes, etc. 1 have done 45mph on the level, and it had more to go, but, like others, the original 93 year old wheels, quick steering, and stock trans brake held me back. I have quite a bit of wheel wobble in my r/f wheel, and I don't trust ANY car that's this tall and this old at speed. I drive 30-35, and it feels like I could drive forever at that speed. 30 or so seems to be its sweet spot. Smooth, quiet, runs cool, etc. At around 40 , that old car vibrates and buzzes pretty good. I believe that if you drive a T the way it was designed to be driven, it will hold up a lot better than one that is made to conform to today's fast pace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris S. Hill on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

Well these numbers are making me feel better, lol. She purred along pretty well today at about 30. I do know its got aluminum pistons in it, and has been bored .020 over.

My only non-stock T item is that I picked up one of the aluminum intake manifolds for it a while back.

Like I said, having no behind the seat time in any other T, makes it hard to know where it should be or what power I may be missing.

Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:24 pm:

Box stock well tuned with aluminum pistons my 22 touring would do about 45 tops in ideal conditions. With a regrind cam, balance, Z HEAD and PORTING the NH it will do fifty easily, it drives comfortably forty five to fifty, a few times on flat pavement, dead calm, in overdrive with my brains thrown out I am sure its seen sixty. The disk brakes do make you feel better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:30 pm:

Box stock well tuned with aluminum pistons my 22 touring would do about 45 tops in ideal conditions. With a regrind cam, balance, Z HEAD and PORTING the NH it will do fifty easily, it drives comfortably forty five to fifty, a few times on flat pavement, dead calm, in overdrive with my brains thrown out I am sure its seen sixty. The disk brakes do make you feel better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:33 pm:

My 23 touring with stock rear, wood wheels, stock worn cam, but fresh rebuild with aluminum pistons would top at about 45. Putting in a Stipe .280, Z head, and now with a stock geared Ruckstell and wire wheels will do 52 in the quarter mile. I had the windshield open for those runs, however. It will cruise at 45 on the flat but I'm not relaxed at that speed. Slight uphills, and side/headwinds slow it to 40-42 with the top up. It's most comfortable at 35-40 and will purr at that speed for miles. I'm sure my quarter mile speed is also my top end. The 4:1 steering and poor brakes increases the pucker factor exponentially as I go over 45.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

Chris, I have a 1913 touring with original engine, 3 dipper pan,low head and 3.64:1 gears. The engine changes I have made are as follows: Alum. pistons, Stripe 280 cam, 350 chev. exhaust valves, Tilletson carb and Dist. I am running an old (No Name) aluminum intake manifold that is designed to fit a model A up draft carb. I especially like the intake manifold because the up draft portion is set back and not in the middle as with most manifolds. The up draft set back may offer an advantage by helping keep the rear cylinders from running leaner than the front two. I static balanced the crank shaft, rods, pistons, flywheel, trans. drums and clutch plate. It cruses easly at 38 mph and is smooth with only 1/2 throttle with the Tilletson carb. I have no desire of going any faster in our touring........I get 20 MPG on most tours. Besides various T carbs. I also tried several model A carbs including Zenith and model B carbs. and found the Tilletson runs the best. Does not load up when idling, good performance and good gas milage. I have the original 13 carb. and manifold stored under the back seat. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

You should be able to get it over 30 easily, but it won't be very smooth unless everything is perfectly balanced. They run best about 35. If you are still using coils and run on battery, you will lose some top end performance. You can tell quite a difference in the high speed running on magneto. You can read about the reasons for this from othr posters. I have been put down for talking about the reasons. Others are much more informed as to the exact reasons. But mine both run better on mag than on battery. Part of the reason, is the timing is more exact on mag because it only runs good in 3 or 4 positions of the timer, while with battery you have more range and if you are not very well experienced with using the spark lever, you might not hit the "sweet spot" when running on battery. I have probably got my foot in my mouth already, so I will stop.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:17 pm:

My 26 tudor runs between 41 to 45 on the flat with bone stock cast iron standard pistons and nothing rebuilt or messed with. I did rebuild the front end so no play there and it drives good between 35 and 40 most of time.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:29 pm:

Here are my figures with stock two speed transmission and rear end gearing and a flathead with a T crank. If i can find it, I have the printout from the Antique Nationals where #22 went just over 70 miles an hour in the quarter mile with the two speed transmission. Now we have the Layne Warford and it is much quicker through the gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:38 am:

I would echo Dick Lodge's words - 35 happy, 40 maybe and not over 45. This is a 26 Coupe, stock including Vaporizer.
On most subjects, this forum usually concludes that Henry was right, and he claimed 42.
I do wonder how some people are measuring speeds. New speedometers aren't always good so I wouldn't believe an 80-year old one!
I will believe:
1. An officer of the law with calibrated apparatus
2. A calibrated bike speedo (my car has one)
3. Timing over a measured distance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:36 am:

Chris,

Since you are running on a battery, you are losing spark advance at speed which may be contributing to your car's low top speed. If it is 6 volt, you are losing more than 20 degrees at that 1250 rpm. If 12 volt, you are still losing more than 10 degrees.

If you aren't using all the available spark advance at your speed of 32 mph, try it and see if it speeds up. A tired engine (low compression) really likes spark advance. Just remember to retard sufficiently for low speeds in high gear.

If you already are using full advance, then check the following:

Push spark lever all the way up. Slowly pull it down until you see the timer case begin to move. If that is more than 3 or 4 notches on the quadrant you have some sloppy linkage to repair.

If the linkage is relatively slop-free you might try resetting your initial timing to more like 5 degrees after instead of the Ford recommended 15 degrees after. This will give you 10 more degrees of advance at the other end.

Good luck with it!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:50 am:

I really don't know how fast my 27 Tudor will go. The Ol' Lady once clocked me from behind in her car at about 40. It's the only time I've gone that fast in it, I'm perfectly happy to putt along at about 30.
Trying to STOP for something like a kid on a bicycle is always foremost in my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:59 am:

Chris, you can add a Number 4. I have a GPS and its speed reading when I use it in my modern car matches the speedometer exactly. It also matches the speed shown on the "Here's how fast you're going" radars the cops put along the road from time to time. Also functions as an odometer.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:04 am:

My old 1913 speedster with a Rajo BB-R head was clocked at 75 . It had a twin high overdrive and 3 to 1 gears plus a MB1 stromberg carb . My 1924 Barber Warnock Fronty should do 100 easy .But not with me in it .I have a physical disability called a yellow streak down my back .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:16 am:

133 mph, We figure that's what the old girl was doing just before she hit the ground, after it fell off from the cliff!!!!LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Well back to shoveling 8 inches of more snow!! I am sure glad it's spring!!!LOL

On the serious side, in my bone stock coupe, I love to drive around at 30 and enjoy the ride!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration