Antifreeze pH....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2005: Antifreeze pH....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:39 am:

What is the pH limit of a radiator antifreeze solution where it is no longer effective? Thanks....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:03 am:

Michael,

The antifreeze qualities will never go away because that is due to increase in molecular weight of the solution. Corrosion protection will go away over time and in my opinion, antifreeze should be replaced every two years (probably overkill but most definitely "safe"). Use distilled water if your tap water is either hard or not 7.0 pH.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:26 am:

Seth, Yes we have really "hard" well water here at a pH of 7.8 that is loaded with calcium carbonates and magnesium. At my nursery I inject phosphoric, sulfuric and nitric acid into the well water to precipitate some of these elements out and change the pH for any crop I grow. I always used distilled water in any radiator on the property and have on hand two pH meters I use all the time. I was just curious if regularly testing the pH of my radiator fluids would give me an indication of the "health" of the solution.....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:40 am:

It certainly might. If starting out at 7.0, I wonder what the pH would be after two years? Perhaps that number would be a good "line in the sand".

That hard well water sounds like a fat-free alternative to cheese in prevention of osteoporosis!

Seth

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration