1911 blue paint code

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: 1911 blue paint code
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 11:55 am:

I hate to bring this up again but I'm ready to do a little painting on my 11. Can somebody tell me the code for the dark blue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 12:14 pm:

never mind , Google is a wonderful thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 12:22 pm:

Which code did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 12:30 pm:

gonna mix the Mercedes and see what it looks like

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:05 pm:

Paint it black first then the Mercedes Blue or it won't look correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:18 pm:

Don-
Are you going to do the DB 904 or the DB 332?
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:51 pm:

904 is what i mixed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 03:24 pm:

I have DB-904 on mine . . you'll like the results. As Keith mentioned, DB-332 will give you a great looking car too. If you have searched the previous discussions on this topic you'll see there is more than one way to get "Midnight Blue". However, I do disagree with the comments about painting the car black first. If you are putting on the paint with sufficient coverage, you'll get the correct color. Below are examples of my 1911 Open Runabout that shows how "Midnight Blue" will look almost black under cloudy/low-light conditions and a nice deep blue in bright sun light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 03:55 pm:

I have seen Keith's car and it looks great. I'm no expert on early Ford colors, but it looks fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 05:25 pm:

Don-
Remember, colors on the internet are only the colors your monitor can show. And some colors do really funny things, especially with a strobe flash. Please get a mix of both so you can make an informed decision. You will be glad you paid the price for a variety of samples.

Here are some of the color options I tried. The fender is the MTFCA color. Way too light!

I used the darker of the two, DB 332 on mine and I am delighted with the results.

Please keep us informed of your progress!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 09:42 pm:

Keith - what are the colors of the darker sample panels? Are both 332 or is one 904?

Thanks... John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:20 pm:

Blue is a very translucent paint, same with yellows, and some greens. I've done a fair amount of work on Mercedes cars and best I can tell they used a dark color primer underneath the topcoat.

Make sure the paint jobber doesn't substitute the 389 Stahlblau for the 904. Both are quite dark, but there's subtle differences between the 2. The 389 is a newer dark blue used on Mercedes trucks. 389 looks more like Washington Blue used on '30s era Ford products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 12:33 am:

John-
I used Diamont paint and the other colors were other Diamont colors that were close.

I don't have a picture of the DB409 and the DB332 side by side. The 332 is darker.

Don would you post some pictures of your color samples?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 12:43 am:

I fully agree with John, Red Primer, Black Primer then your black/Blue topcoat, without the black primer, the Blue is to Blue....if that makes sense.
Good Luck and have fun with your painting.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:59 am:

I agree with the comments about using black PRIMER under the your paint. I just made my comments about those who have said you needed to PAINT it black first. Matching your primer as close as possible to your final color is always a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:08 am:

An interesting sideline. My old '13 touring was painted 62-64 Chevy Datona Blue. That color has metallic in it, so I told the paint store to leave the metallic out. Today, it appears good, but I like a darker blue. A few years back, I needed some for touch up, so I had a quart mixed up at another paint store, and a different brand too. I told them to leave the metallic out, just like before. This past month I had to paint a replacement wheel for the same car, and I decided to use that last quart I had mixed. In the garage, it looks black, and is definitely darker than the first batch. That is the way its going to stay too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 02:25 pm:

OK this is the DB 304. I put it over black sealer. It is not as dark as I thought it would be , but it is what I want I think. the mixing colors are two dark blues a lot of black and a little white. I really thought it was going to be darker. I wanted something dark but that i could still tell was blue.I am not restoring this car just freshening up. It was restored back in 1962 and painted what he thought was right which was green, about the color of a 26-27 engine. I'ts time, it has to go. This picture was taken under a bright light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 05:02 pm:

Don, DB-304 . . . I thought you said in your earlier post that you mixed up DB-904??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 08:43 pm:

Keith and Roger - thanks for the pictures and info... John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:52 pm:

too many numbers in my head Roger, it was 904.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 10:11 am:

OK here is the difference, the db904 is on the column and the db332 is on the spray-out. This picture was taken with a high intensity light used for matching paint. It is supposed to imitate sunlight. I think I am going with the db904, it's not as purple. But really both look good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 05:17 pm:

Don't forget that a camera flash will bring the Blue out in a photo, if it looks dark ( black ) in the garage and you can see a blue in the sun, your spot on for color, But at the end of the day, its a personal choice, blue, or blue or blue.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 05:23 pm:

One other thing that seems important too, the base for Blues,whites,reds any color base will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer which will affect the finished result, even just a bit.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 10:10 pm:

I have found 1974 Volvo to have a VERY dark blue, almost black.
Sorry I can not post a picture.
I used it on one of my cars and everyone refers to it a black, even though the fenders and splash aprons are black as well as the top material.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration