Note to self - always take glasses to shop when working on model t

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Note to self - always take glasses to shop when working on model t
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:29 am:

Had I worn my glasses I would have noticed I was off center when starting to drill out the thrust plate pins in one of my rear axle housings! Started with a small bit and worked up in size but didn't realize I was off center until it was too late. The hole is now to sloppy to just install the pin and peen. I am able to locate the pin so that the steel thrust plate lines up properly. My question is - can I carefully braze the pin in the housing to keep it in place? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 09:18 am:

I've used JB Weld in that same spot before, drill bit wallowed hole out when removing the old pin. The new pin seated with a wiggle. Cleaned the hole and pin with lacquer thinner real good, let dry.

Then a dab of JB Weld worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 09:19 am:

Braze the hole shut and start over with new hole. Use the steel thrust plate as a guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 10:11 am:

Why not skip the brazing part and drill two new holes? Using the steel washer as a guide seems like a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 10:48 am:

Tex,
You are correct, to do quality work you need to see exactly what you are doing. To see like superman, everyone really needs an OptiVisor in their shop.
The OptiVisor brand is a quality magnifier and the 2 1/2 x 8 lens seems to be the most popular. That is 8" Focal Length and 2-1/2 X Magnification Optical Glass lens

No shop should be without one.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:02 am:

To Add to what Jim posted above, One Optivisor is worth a truck load of cheap Harbor Freight knockoff plastic lens visors. Trust me been there, saw the movie, have the T shirt, yada yada yada!

I use mine daily and wouldn't be without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 01:12 pm:

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Looks like i'll braze up the original holes and drill two new ones in the virgin steel. Being my first rear axle rebuild I want to be sure I do it right. Jim & Jay - I'll be ordering a optivisor tomorrow! Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 01:33 pm:

Tex,

When you order your Optivisor, note that there are plastic lenses and glass lenses. I always get the glass lenses because they don't seem to deteriorate as quickly. Costs more, but cheaper in the long run.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 01:37 pm:

The glass lenses are worth the extra dough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 03:15 pm:

My fix has been to drill deeper following the original hole. Tap the hole, 5/16 if I recall correctly. Make a custom pin replacement out of a bolt (can be done on a drill press with a grinding stone in a hand drill) figuring the depth of the thread. You want the shoulder of the bolt down inside the original pin hole so that threads aren't in a position to shear off under use. Leave the bolt head in place to help with installation. Loctite into place. Cut the pin off at an appropriate height. Final fit with a small grinder.
Done that several times.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 06:34 pm:

Tex, there is no need to braze up the original holes if you are going to drill two new ones.

Hope this saves you some time.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 07:29 pm:

The local Airgas store,used to be National welders,carrys safty glasses with a magnafieing lens built in the bottom.Wonderfull idea,if I just could keep up with them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:00 pm:

Dick/Jay - I'll make sure to go with the glass lens, thanks!
Allan - Unfortunately I have that "anal gene" that will force me to braze the original holes even though not needed!
Mack - I'll check out the built in magnifiers as well, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:53 pm:

tex, I told you, make a very slight prick mark first to be sure you are on center, if not move the prick until you are, then prick punch and start small and drill bigger in steps. don't braze the holes, 1 pin is ok then just jb weld the other pin in using the thrust plate as a guide. believe me jb weld is the answer.i explained how to do this in my e mail to you, remember?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 09:50 pm:

Where would you drill new holes? All mine have been the kind that only has enough metal near it to drill the 2 holes and only little ribs in the casting elsewhere to support the washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 06:37 am:

Kep - On mine there are two identical "bosses" at 90 degrees to the existing holes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration