Production date

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Production date
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:08 pm:

Hi everybody! I have been trying to look up the actual day that my T was made and the closest I am able to find is April of 1926. I guess I don't know how to access the proper site to look it up. The frame number is 13459645. Wanted to see who else was born on that day to figure a name for my roadster pickup. Thanks in advance to any and all who respond to my quest. Please lead me in the right direction! Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:22 pm:

Robert ; It is April - 1 - 1926
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:28 pm:

Thanks, Anthonie! How did you come up with that date? Thanks again, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:39 pm:

Steve ; It is in the [ Bible] Model T Ford The Car That Changed The World ,from Bruce W. Mc Calley .
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:54 pm:

Thanks again! Forgot I had that book. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:55 pm:

Specifically, your car is #4756 of 7502 serial numbers issued on Thursday, April 1, 1926. I guess that would put it sometime in the afternoon or evening. The information comes from Model T Ford: The Car That Changed the World by Bruce McCalley, also commonly known as the Model T encyclopedia. You can get the book in original hardcover on ebay for big bucks, or you can get the current softcover reissue from Krause Publications for a lot less. It's also available on disk, which I like, because the disk includes a lot of original Ford literature (parts books, manuals, etc.). The information on that is here:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 06:30 pm:

I believe the date is when the complete engine and transmission was assembled.

If that is true, the actual vehicle build date would be that date or a later date.

Robert asked for the day his T was made. I do not know if we can say for sure when his actual vehicle was assembled, unless it is noted in some way, such as the day they started putting serial numbers on the frame at the Highland Park assembly plant in 1925 etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:32 pm:

As stated above all the engines were stamped when assembled to the transmission. And by 1926 no engines were assembled at the Highland Park plant where the cars were assembled. Not to mention by calendar year 1926 of the 1,449,111 Model Ts and TTs assembled in the USA only 89,548 were assembled at the Highland Park plant. Engines were shipped from the River Rouge to Highland Park and other assembly areas. Also, there is still a good chance that some of the branch plants were assembling engines locally. In those cases they would have been sent a "block of numbers" to stamp onto the engines they assembled. Those "block of numbers" were taken from the daily engine log numbers. And in those cases the engine would have been assembled on a later date (days, weeks, or maybe months) and placed into a car or truck at that branch. (Ref McCalley page 501.

And sometimes engines were stored for example see: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/doc24.htm see the Mar 18, 1924 entry that states:

Letter from Chicago Branch:

"We hear stories that some salesmen are telling their customers to be sure and look at the motor number of any car when they buy in order to be sure they get a late motor number. These particular salesmen are just making a lot of trouble for themselves because at the new plant we have hundreds of motors that have been standing there for thirty days or more and will be going into the cars in the course of production. This means that all dealers will receive motor numbers from the Burnham plant that will be considerably lower in number than those motors received from the Chicago plant so just stop your salesmen making any remarks at all about motor numbers because in so doing they are going to make a lot of trouble for you when we start shipping from the new plant."
A.W.L. Gilpin
Branch Manager
P.S. In correspondence the old Ford plant in Chicago is referred to as the Chicago plant and the new plant is referred to as the Burnham plant because it is near the Burnham railroad yards.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:09 am:

To all, the number I gave is the frame number only as my car has an earlier motor that does not have a number stamped in it. THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED! Steve

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration