Magneto gap ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Magneto gap ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:27 pm:

This was the first mag gap set up for me and was it ever time consuming. I turned the engine on it's nose and was trying for .028 on the upper and .034 on the bottom. the best i could get on the top range from .029 to.031 and the bottom gap is .033 to .036 I'm not to concerned about the upper gap but is the lower .036 getting to far out ? brass feeler gauges are pricey so i used a couple of mag shims and pealed them to the desired thickness. thanks. Ken Magneto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:49 pm:

The Ford repair book says that the mag should be not less than .o25 nor more than .040. Your settings are fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:55 pm:

Ken,
I'm not opposed to use whatever works but for $4.76 you can get a brass feeler gauge at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILMAR-NON-MAGNETIC-BRASS-6-BLADE-FEELER-GAUGE-W80526-/3 10500176117?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item484b40b0f5&vxp=mtr

If your gap is within the recommended 0.025" to 0.040" range you should be good to go.

Tom tested different gaps and it still worked up to a gap of 0.160" (four times the 0.040" recommended limit). For details see:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/187985.html?1296784543

Good luck,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 09:15 pm:

When I converted a '15 to starter I think I spent about 4 hours setting the mag gap. Maybe more.
But I got the all at .025 or close.
I had a '22 that was professionally rebuilt and the mag would rub when the motor warmed up.
It touched in two places.
Pulling the engine to adjust it was not a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks for the info guys, I have the model t service manual but the concern i had was the variation in the gaps.I guess the small plus and minus gap don't mean that much. Hay Jim, If i would have seen that gauge on ebay i would have ordered one but after using the shims as a gauge I didn't have to stack blades for the thickness. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 06:54 am:

The variation in the gaps is fine as long as it falls within specs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:10 am:

I seem to remember Bruce telling me that 0.025 at the top but up to 0.040 at the bottom as the transmission will sag and raise the upper and lower to bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:19 am:

I used steel feeler gauges on all my 3 Model T's and the magnetos work just fine.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration