OT - AFX Racing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT - AFX Racing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:11 pm:

I haven't done much with the Ford since I took the Ruckstell out in September. It's going slowly, as I'm saving up the $ to buy new parts. I haven't been out of cars altogether and thought I'd share an affordable project with you.

Over Christmas, I dug out my old AFX slotless Speed Steer set to race with my 7-yr old daughter. I got it for my 11th birthday in 1979. Only one of the six cars ran well, if that, and most of the parts were worn and old - tires, pick-up shoes, etc. Thankfully, there is a site dedicated to this system: www.tycotcrracing.com. This guy has it down to a science!

I bought new pickup shoes, tires and brushes (www.slotcarcentral.com) and I followed the guys's performance tips closely - breaking in new brushes, lapping the gears, etc. Needless to say, I got 6/7 cars running quite well and the other has an issue with the chassis - probably a twisted frame from too many crashes.
I also picked up four new chassis and bodies to add to my collection. Wow, do the new cars change lanes well.

I had a bit of fun last night wiring the LEDs into two of my cars that had a place for headlights. I also added a rare earth magnet to the front of the car, which helped keep it from flying off the track and handle the corners better.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration