Hood Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Hood Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R Barker on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:19 pm:

I have some rust erosion around the lip where the hood clips secure the hood. Anyone have ideas on repair? A new hood is $$. This is a 1920 (low) hood. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:33 pm:

I put a length of steel round stock in mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R Barker on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:44 pm:

Yeah, I know that's what my dad had in to keep it secure. Just saw steel hood clip plates on Lang's that rivet to the hood where the clips go. Looks like a good solution, at least temporarily. Functional, and hides the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:56 pm:

I used stainless tube in mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:59 pm:

I use steel spikes,just cut the head off and drive them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:20 pm:

If the hood is rough enough that you don't want to put a lot into it. Steel rod and J B Weld can have that looking like new in no time. I also fill minor rust-throughs with J B Weld. Works nice, lasts better than you might think. And no flat steel welding distortion.
If I want a hood to be really nice, steel rod and braze. But it takes a lot longer to make it look nice.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David R Barker on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:41 pm:

Thanks to everyone for posting. The steel rod/JB Weld route looks pretty promising, at least until I can afford a new hood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:43 pm:

My favorite fix for worn hood hook bead....steel 10 penny nail... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:28 pm:

Clean it up with a wire wheel and lay a few beads of metal with a MIG welder across the bad part. A grinder will finish the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 02:35 am:

I had the same problem on both sides off mine, cleaned them up ,and tig welded them ,then put the flap disk on the angle grinder and put it back in shape,looks good now.
Cheers gerryde(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 02:38 pm:

I wish I had a TIG/MIG welder. But like I said, braze or J B Weld works well enough. TIG/MIG would be better.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration