HCCT Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: HCCT Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 03:59 pm:

A question for Ron P and other HCCT fixers. I have one that will spark a coil without the ammeter hooked up but when the ammeter is connected the needle goes full scale and there is not enough juice left to spark the coil. It has the standard Weston meter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 05:56 pm:

A quick check of your calibration on the ammeter and overall condition of your HCCT can be made by connecting an 1156 Bulb to the HCCT by connecting one connection to the bottom coil connection and one connection to the top side connection while leaving the spark connection open. Turn the crank on your HCCT rather briskly and you should be able to get the bulb to light up a dim glow and your meter should read bout 1.2 amps. If that checks out then you probably have the current set way too high on the coil being tested and you can believe your meter. If you get something radically different with the 1156 bulb test then report back here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:22 pm:

John With the 1156 hooked up the bulb gets a dim glow and the meter shows 0. The coil used in the test had been set up on another HCCT and double checked on a second one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 04:07 pm:

Have you checked the wiring. Your test results are contradictory. A bulb is near zero resistance when cold (before you start cranking) and it produces absolutely NO CURRENT????? when cranking while a coil which typically has a higher starting resistance than the bulb is producing over 2 amps. I think you need to check the wiring of your HCCT carefully point to point and also connections to those wires for something intermittent or wired incorrectly. Your test results with the bulb seem to make little sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Taylor on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:01 pm:

It sound like your meter is wired wrong. It should go in line with the coil under test. "That measure current through the coil." It sounds like you have it wired in parallel with coil to ground as if you were measuring the voltage across the coil. That would make it a dead short across the coil pegging the meter and allowing nothing to go through the coil under test. A possible problem could be that one of the terminals on the back side of meter has been crushed and is shorting out to the frame, or the wire terminal has slipped loose and now its touching the frame. Some how one of the terminals is touching the frame of the HCCT.
I'm working on the meter of mine at this time, and I can see it happening very easily if your not careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers - Rangely CO on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 12:52 pm:

I am in the last stages of building an HCCT by Gary Tilstom's plans but have a question regarding the wiring of same. His plans call for:

However, Ron Patterson posted this:

Does either schematic work, if not which is correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 01:23 pm:

Gordon,
They both work. Both make a complete circuit from the field coil though the coil and amp meter. Ron's shows more optional stuff on it like the magneto terminal, horn terminal and spark plug tester.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 01:34 pm:

Gordon, heres the one I finished about a month ago. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers - Rangely CO on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 02:12 pm:

Thanks Jim,I'm obviously weak when it comes to electronic knowledge!
Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Taylor on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:14 pm:

What can mess you up is the "Magneto" Terminal / Inductor on the hand drawn diagram. Think of it as not being there. You will be safe. The main thing is to think of a loop for current to flow around in. Magneto to Meter than on to coil than back to Magneto. It does not really matter if meter is in front of the coil or after the coil under test as long as its in the loop somewhere.
I like to think of it as measuring the current from the source to the load.
One more thing.. The Amp meter is like a dead short. It draws off a small sample of the AC current to drive the meter, and passes the majority on to the load. In the meter it has to convert AC to a small DC current to move the meter needle in one direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:21 am:

Thanks guys. It was wired backwards. A friend of mine had the thing and wanted me to look at it to see why it didn't work right. Unfortunately
he had someone "fix" it. Everything is a cobble job on it. It sort of works now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:41 am:

When I built my coil tester (the one the drawings are of) I purposely omitted the spark plug testing function as it doesn't really test the plug. A plug can fire on one of those yet fall off when placed under pressure. It isn't much of a test. I use a tester that places a plug under pressure and will see if it fires. The test pressure varies based on plug gap. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:48 am:

But Gary, its pretty to look at! I use the pressure test also. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 09:50 am:

I'll give it that, it does look cool. G

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration