Engine stutters over 1,000RPM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Engine stutters over 1,000RPM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:03 pm:

This seems to be the place to ask about things like stock model Ts. Engine reaches a certain RPM and stops running properly, like it has a rev' limiter. Not loose coils as i pushed them in the box and they seem tight. This is a link to a video someone posted for me because i lost my password http://youtu.be/GkN7a79ACjU You can hear it when it is sitting still, on the gear shift and when it reaches its new top speed of 25MPH.

What could be wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:10 pm:

Timer roller skipping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:10 pm:

Start with the timer. Classic symptoms for your problem. Idles fairly well, breaks up at speed. If not that go to fuel flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:16 pm:

Is this a new problem? Could be a lot of things.
weak valve springs
not enough timing advance
not enough fuel
bouncing commutator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:24 pm:

Keep it simple. (for now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:27 pm:

Flapper timer but i did have the front cover off. It did it in the past but only in low gear, Cheers i will look there first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 02:12 pm:

Kep:

You might have a coil that has shelled one of its contacts. I had the exact same thing happen and simply looking at each coil contact set I noticed immediately that one coil had the lower contact no longer there. It had fallen off and the lower vibrator spring was still with enough spring tension to come up and hit the top contact and the car ran rather well at low RPM but immediately began to falter at higher RPM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 03:06 pm:

Sounds to me like ignition, i cant hear the engine well enough in the video.

timer is likely and easy to check as others have said, also if you had the cover off did you re center it?

when coil condensers go bad the car will still run and the coil will still buzz, but the car will run poorly.

if it was fuel delivery, your engine would begin to cut out, and die. another easy check.

seeing as a t valve spring has a little more tension than a rubber band, its highly unlikely but not impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 09:27 pm:

Tried a new day timer and it runs great again. Guess the cover needs to be centered. Thanks again. (you would think i would remember this check from reading about it on here in the past)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration