Soaking Bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Soaking Bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:26 am:

Should I let the new band material (not wood) soak in oil before I install it on the bands?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:07 am:

I did that with some new kevlar band linings back in 1997. Left 'em in a jar, and sold them at discount at a swapmeet, because I had been educated about wood bands in the meantime. Been using wood ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:25 am:

Short answer, no. Rivet them on to the band first then toss them in a garbage bag with a couple quarts of oil. As long as you changing bands change the oil and use the two quarts in the bag as there is nothing wrong with it.

Soaking before riveting is a huge mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:31 am:

Fred,

There are those who do an overnight 'soak' before undertaking a band change...

And there are those who simply install them 'dry' and then pour the oil over the spring area before adding the cover door...

And there are those who simply put them in dry, button up and add oil...and go...

By the time this thread is fully answered, you'll probably find 1/3 of each :-)

I look at it this way...soaking can not hurt...a dry install 'might' do something. The cost either way is '0' difference so I belong to the 'soak' club on everything whether cloth, or 'yellows', or wood. My own personal opinion is I'm not sure what if anything it does for 'yellows' but I do it anyway. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain no matter what actual band material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:36 am:

Ooop, didn't read original post right...sorry.

Gary posted while I was typing. do as Gary says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:57 am:

Fred,

Install the lining to the band before soaking. I installed kevlar. I soaked them for about a week or so while I worked on other T parts. It was a little messy during the installation but I knew that my bands had oil and I would not be grinding a dry band on a drum when I started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 09:25 am:

Ok...I allmost bought Wood,but wanted to try these first to laern. I will rivet the soak.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:41 pm:

Most important is that the bands are *round* when you're done and that they are *round* when you're done installing them...that means taking off the hog's head to do the job.

As for soaking, I've done 'em wet and done 'em dry. I prefer to add oil over the bands when done...start the car and run for a minute and let sit for a bit. Follow that with a few gentle starts and stops, adjust, and be done with it. I've yet to have damage on any car I've installed bands on, wet or dry, and have never had to do a set of Kevlar twice.

I have seen broken drums and repaired transmissions...with cotton or Kevlar, so just don't run ANY band too tight. Particularly Kevlar.

FWIW, 1. Kevlar doesn't soak up anything, it only holds oil through capillary action between the fibers. 2. Because of that I'd never add the oil to the oil filler (I add over the bands)...you would indeed be running the kevlar dry for a very short period and I wouldn't be keen on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 06:01 pm:

Put me down for installing them dry and pouring oil over them when installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:48 pm:

I put the linings (Kevlar, always) onto the bands dry, then soak them in oil for a while (sometimes overnight, if I'm not in a hurry) before putting them into the tranny. It seems to me that pouring oil over dry bands won't get much oil to where it's needed, which is between the band lining and the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:11 pm:

If not in a hurry, I soak mine in automatic transmission oil. Don't matter which type, Ford type is good.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration