Twisted Front Axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Twisted Front Axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 08:59 pm:

Does anyone have a picture of one of the twisted front axle displays that were sent to Ford dealers?

Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 10:11 pm:

Mike

Is this the one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 08:03 am:

Yes, Dan, that's it. Thanks so much! I wonder if Ford ever did that with a Model A axle. Also, I wonder if this really proves anything since the axle could break with a sharp blow, couldn't it?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 08:14 am:

We've seen recent pictures of broken axles, but they had been welded; never seen an original axle broken.

I had an accident where the front axle was pushed over 6 inches back one side so the wishbone was badly bent. The car sat a week or two with the axle twisted back. Once released from the wishbone it popped back into shape and careful checking showed it had gone straight back into its original position; only the wishbone needed work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 09:16 am:

I wonder what would cause an axle to break in the first place.
It would take a real whack to break an axle in my mind but I guess anything is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 03:21 pm:

Hey don't forgot that John Walton broke an axle on is truck by hitting a chuck hole:-)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 03:27 pm:

The picture illustrates how ductile the vanadium steel was and it should show the strength of the material.
However - as the members of the two-part crank club have experienced the hard way - there are many other parameters than just ductility. Resistance to metal fatigue for example.
Metallurgy have evolved a great deal since and we understand better what happens on the molecular level thanks to electron microscopes.
Ford did indeed pioneered the use of metallurgy in automotive design, but they just haven't revealed all the secrets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 03:33 pm:

Very interesting! Before someone points it out, John Walton's truck was an "A." And we all know that T's are far superior:-)

Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration