Re-Silvering reflectors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Re-Silvering reflectors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:39 pm:

Any info on someone that does re-silver process for the parabolic mirrors for early gas lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:46 pm:

I seem to remember that this was asked within the last year (or maybe it was about the later reflectors) but either way, they were silver plated originally. I checked with a place in Houston that had done some for me, decades ago, and because of EPA laws, they didn't any more. It seems someone posted that there was an outfit in the St. Louis, MO area who still did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:29 am:

R.V. give this source listed at the end of this post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/332848.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 11:13 am:

Just google search for silver plating. I had it done out of north west.

Be ready to pony up some bucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 12:36 pm:

Isn't there a spray on plating process promoted by Jay Leno in a video that you can spray on and plate any material, ie plastic, wood or steel? I think I saw the video in a thread on the forum earlier this year. The plating is beautiful but I'm not sure how durable it is and I understand it is very expensive. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 01:16 pm:

I just used a Krylon spray paint called "Looking Glass". It works real good and for $15 a can you get almost as good as plating. Make sure you clean the glass real good and put on 4 or 5 coats, only about a minute apart. I don't know if it will stand up to the heat but I will never use the lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 02:45 pm:

That's a familiar post,
Check out this link again:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/327184.html#POST482773

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 06:12 pm:

Thank's for the info...
I'm getting old rob, I didn't even remember the post and that's been less than a month ago I think I have some'timers!
I have four reflectors two extra ones and two that are in the E&J lights so out of the four two could use a re-silvering job to be top notch.
Thanks again guy's.
Everything I've checked on looks like they are running about the same $100-$125 ea. to
re-silver or replace.
May be time to ebay them and forget it, I'll never use them anyways.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration