Bow Drill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Bow Drill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:02 pm:

Remember when I made my own front seat cushion and fanback covers, well I wrote to Elizabeth with a question concerning top pads. I also sent her pics of my upholstering effort, because William Vandeburg sent me photos of his kit and his installation, so I patterned my seats on Classtique's kit.

Anyhoo, Elizabeth wrote back giving me the info I requested and told me they were so impressed by my pics I sent, that she wanted to gift me with a set of seat covers that were not up to her standards for sale. Of course I gratefully accepted, and she also told me she send me the bow drill strips along with it (it was another one of my inquiries) I don't know what exactly the flaws are, but I sure cant see any.

In the box I got were the bow drill strips, and 3 seat cushion covers (2 rears and 1 front), out of the 2 rears I found one that would work, so I got real Classique seat cushion covers on my car now.

And they sure look nice.

But as you can see, they sit about 2 inches lower than the ones I made...I guess I'll have to replace that fanback now, lol.

I'm wondering if any of you guys know how far past the bow's curve the bow drill extends on 1922 touring two man top? I figure it to be about an inch, but I really don't know. I don't have any instructions, since the bow drill strips were gifted to me along with a set of seat cushion covers from Classtique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:25 pm:

Martin-
I believe the bow wrap goes down just past the inside "notch" on the top socket. When finished wrapping, you should not see any wood showing.

The seats look great!

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 12:07 pm:

Bowdrill is the material the top bows are wrapped with, except the front one. The left and right top pads are also made with bowdrill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 02:13 pm:

bowdrill is a loosely woven denim type fabric that can be stretched on the bias around curves without any wrinkles. The end of the wrap should be folded under and a single tack fastened on the outside so it can not be seen. If you are using used bows there will be a lot of holes in the oak. If you soak the wood very well with water such as a very wet wrapped towel, the wood will swell up and the holes will close. Be sure to remove all old nails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 03:27 pm:

Where's my commission? LOL :-)

Was glad to help you, Martin. Good show with your car!

Like Larry said, the bow drill covers the wood of the bows, except the front one. That covering is made of the same material the top is made from. That bow is more exposed to the weather than the rest of them and therefore needs the extra weather protection.

You should not see any wood when the bows are covered. Bow covering is also rolled under and tacked on the ends to finish it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 03:51 pm:

Martin, There is some very good information relating to the instillation of a top in the book " Model T Ford Restoration Handbook "
Page 86 ( How to make your own top ) by E.W. Stitt 1960

The car that is featured in the book isn't a Model T but the information is quite handy for anyone contemplating doing their own top. Regards, John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration