Juhasz Carburetor and Roof 16 model BB

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Juhasz Carburetor and Roof 16 model BB
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:25 pm:

As I posted in a previous post I have a very nice rebuilt engine (stock) with aluminum pistons. I am planning on putting a Roof 16 valve OHV head type BB head on it and I also have a Juhasz racing carburetor (Barrel Valve). The original size of the opening of the intake is 1 1/2 inch. My Juhasz has a 1 1/2 inch throat size. Do you think this is too much carburetion? Should it work? or drown the motor. The carburetor is absolutely awesome. Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:29 pm:

I meant the size of the opening on my original Roof intake is 1 1/2 inch *

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:35 pm:

never heard of a Juhasz carb, i would think a single 1.5" would be fine, there were some aftermarket carbs for stock Ts that had a 1.5 throttle.

worst comes to worst change it to something smaller, but i doubt youll have a problem.

once you put that head on your "stock" engine, it will suddenly become very "Not stock"lol

I mean the only other thing you could do to it is a cam change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:38 pm:

what are you going to do for exhaust manifold(s)? with 8 ports and all. also i bet you could fab up some valve covers out of aluminum then tig weld them then polish them and they would look like the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:48 pm:

I have the original cast Iron Exhaust manifold. Also yea I was thinking that I would have to fab something up. I was just going to make larger versions of my original 8 valve covers which are stamped steel and mabye nickle plate them. I would love to get original or exact copies of the originals though. Also Juhasz carburetors had something to do with Harry Miller. I will post some picks of the carb tomorrow because it is really awesome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:51 pm:

barrel valve carbs are neat. ive got two Winfield model M's a friend of mine has a 16v roof, the early kind with the spindly rockers, id like to get that from him someday and put two rileys on it and the magneto dive i have and make a dirt track racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:54 pm:

barrel valve carbs are neat. ive got two Winfield model M's a friend of mine has a 16v roof, the early kind with the spindly rockers, id like to get that from him someday and put two rileys on it and the magneto dive i have and make a dirt track racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 08:57 pm:

yea that sounds like it would be really cool. I have a Winfield model M 201 C which has a throat size of 1 3/4 which is too big. But Ive heard great things about those carbs once they are dialed in properly. The only problem is that they are pot metal so they tend to crack. But yea a dirt track racer certainly would be cool, especially with the Roof 16. But even thought those early rocker arms are pretty they tend to break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 09:09 pm:

yeah, i really dont like the pot metal part, i may end up selling them, after all its just a 14:1 valve.

as for those rockers, i would end up making new rockers for it, at the old ones have been broken several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 10:10 am:

Heres a picture of my Juhasz carburetor. It's really an awesome carburetor, but I cant find much information on the company that made it. It was the Juhasz Carburetor Company, but I was told it had something to do with Miller. That can be true because by the looks of this thing, it has many features similar to a miller carb. Its not small either. Its got a 1 1/2 throat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 10:26 am:

My Master is similar to the Miller, also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:09 am:

Rick, great info...whaqt is the throat size of your master carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 12:31 pm:

I've never used it, Alex, and have it stored. Seems to me it is 1 1/2". I run a 1 1/4" Winfield 5H on the Fronty R head, and it seems about right for daily driving. The flanges on the carb and head match.

Better pic of the Master.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:23 pm:

I just re-measured my original Roof intake and the opening is 1 1/4 inches. So i guess my Juhasz is a 1 1/14 too big. Does anyone think it still might work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:29 pm:

youve got two intake ports right? best way to find out how well it will work is try it. if it doesnt just ship me the carburetor and we can forget this ever happened....lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:31 pm:

a friend of mine chopped the bottom of an old T manifold and adapted an 1 1/2 fuely riley carburetor for his flathead T speedster, it seemed to work fine

on the current car theres a 2 bbl weber carb. still a flathead, i think youll be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 09:38 pm:

I meant to say its 1/4 too big, but haha Matthew, i will think about it and let you know when its in the mail, but yea i guess I will have to just put it on and give it a try. I mean the flanges match up perfectly, like the carb was made for the Roof manifold, but the hole in the car is 1/8th of an inch larger on each side (1/4 inch larger overall). Hopefully she doesnt run too rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 09:39 pm:

carb* not car

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration