Tenth post on the coilbox

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Tenth post on the coilbox
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 07:51 pm:

Can anybody tell me why you'd need a tenth post on the coil box? I know one goes to the terminal block, then there are the four for the timer and the four for the spark plugs. Where does this tenth post lead? I've seen boxes with ten of them installed, and there are holes in the firewall for ten posts to come through, but all the wiring diagrams I've looked at only show nine of them. Any idea what this spare post would be for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 08:03 pm:

On cars with an ignition switch on the dash, the power from the battery (if there is one)and the magneto are both routed to the switch which selects one or the other. The output of the switch runs to the ninth contact on the coil box. On cars with the ignition switch on the coil box, both power leads must enter the coil box and the selection is made on the front of the box, thus ten contacts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 08:03 pm:

Jared Vuckart:

One hole for the battery and one hole for the Mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 18, 2013 - 09:36 pm:

1909-1918 (switch on box), ten. 1919-1927 (switch on dash), nine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 07:15 pm:

Thanks guys. Another T mystery solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 01:01 am:

1919 Hack - switch on box - box on firewall

The first two pictures were taken just after we got the T home and the last when we pulled it out of the barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 01:13 am:

I found a couple pictures of the other side of the firewall - these were also taken shortly after we got the T home

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration