Paint for Woodwork -Carriage Painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Paint for Woodwork -Carriage Painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Stanley on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 05:29 pm:

All,

I am planning to refinish/repaint the wood body on my TT. What paint have you used and would recommend that holds up well on wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 05:55 pm:

No specific brand suggestion, I'd be going to a marine supply place that handles paints for sailboats and yachts. If you have one of those nearby, I'd be talking with their paint person. This all assumes it's a real marine store and not a McDonalds imitation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 08:02 pm:

Imron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 11:52 am:

The best wood primer I know of is Sherwin Williams Oil Based Primer. I used this 25 years ago to prime the bare wood on my house and it is still holding the topcoat strong. Paint it on, then let it dry for a week, then put on a flexible topcoat, made for wood, such as oil based gloss enamel in your color of choice, since, unlike steel, wood expands and contracts with the weather and humidity and any, too rigid, coating that will not expand and contract with the wood, will not last long. First it will crack, then begin to peel in sheets. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang ~ Brentwood Bay, BC on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 02:07 pm:

Petit Makes good paint, as does Epifanes. There's also a company in the States back east someplace that makes nice oil paint, but I can;t think of the name right now.

Petit and Epifanes are what I use on wooden boats. As Walt says, go to a chandler and see what they recommend.

If you are down to bare wood and want to prime, you can't do better than red lead primer. Most real shippy places have it. Its pricey though, but you can't beat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:29 pm:

For 30 years I used Interlux Interpoly on my vessel. It is very tough and hard but not brittle. Requires regular primer, nothing fancy. Only drawback is it is a challenge to hand sand as it is so hard when dry. Mine was a passenger vessel so I refinished each spring so's to look spiffy for the folks but the paint was in great shape. 24/7/365 outdoors in a salt water environment with no problems.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration