Key word search

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Key word search
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 08:31 pm:

I'm having trouble with the key word search. I search for some common words like Ford, engine, bearing and the serach will not work. The only response I get is

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-search.cgi from 76.229.162.112
/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi - not found
www.mtfca.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0

I'm I doing something wrong?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 09:51 pm:

Probably not Mike. Every so often the search function throws a hissy fit and doesn't work (or gives weird results)

At those times I usually go to google search and type in

bearing site:www.mtfca.com

The above sample assumes your searching for posts with the word bearing in them. If you pit a phrase in quotes before the word site you will get posts with that exact phrase.

Works well

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 09:52 pm:

oops - make that put not pit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 09:55 pm:

You know that was sadly about the only 1 to 1 communication I ever had with Bruce was asking about the search function.And his reply was allways to the effect, " It is working Fine".
But needless to say sometimes I cant get the dang thing to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 07:48 am:

Mike,

I'm 90% sure you are just exceeding the limits of the MTFCA search engine. If you type in Ford and hit search it gives the error. But if you type in Ford and select an individual forum year to search if gives the results. A summary is listed below:

218 total results are now displayed. 2013 Forum
3524 total results are now displayed 2012 Forum
643 total results are now displayed.. 2011 Forum
3564 total results are now displayed 2010
2601 total results are now displayed 2009
943 total results are now displayed 2008
2520 total results are now displayed 2005

And if I do not select "and" I can often exceed the search limit when I have several common words.

I also like Google.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 02:24 pm:

Thanks. I have used this search many times and with no trouble, but lately, it's not cooperating much. The search function is really a help when you want to find all you can one one topic. I hate to ask the same old question over again, especially without looking at what has already been said. I'll keep trying.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 05:36 pm:

Mike,

On a couple of searches this week, I have gotten "O" replies from the forum search and using the Google version I got good hits on our site. So it may be something more than just exceeding the limit of the number of returns.

Thanks for taking time to check some of the previous postings. That will sometimes answer some of your questions and allow you to ask the questions that were not addressed or to fill in the parts you do not understand.

It is a great group of folks with a lot of helpful information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration