Where were tires made?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Where were tires made?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 02:46 pm:

I've got a set of 5 30X3 1/2 white Firestone tires for a speedster project. Four are a couple years older than one of them. Four are wrapped in clear plastic and one is in black plastic. I tried to find any markings where the tires were manufactured through the clear plastic, but can't find anything. I don't really want to unwrap them either... How can I tell where they were made. It's my understanding the ones made in Viet Nam are pretty much junk, is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:03 pm:

I have Viet Nam Riverside tires and they will very likely last me as long as I drive the T. I only put on about 1,000 or 2,000 per year, so the tread will last for years. I have heard some horror stories about the Viet Nam tires, but my experience is they are fine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:52 pm:

David 99% are made in Viet Nam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 05:23 pm:

I have a set of 21 inch firestones on my car that were made in New Zealand That are at least 20+ years old and doing very well (never stored outside). I see they are "made in the U.S.A." now. Wonder who is making them here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 05:24 pm:

David,

I will trade you a new set of black ones if you don't want the whites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:41 pm:

Erich,

as I have posted here before :-
The metal used on NZ roads is very hard on tyres so the tyres are made of a compound to suit. Unfortunately, Bridgestone took the Firestone moulds back to the US (and apparently then to VN) in approx 1984.
Ever since then we have had to put up with inferior rubber which dosen't wear anywhere near as good.

On the upside, we now have a firm who can retread our 30 x 3 1/2 tyres with NZ truck compound. They don't look as nice as a new tyre but wear heaps better than the VN units.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration