Anderson Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Anderson Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:02 pm:

Well I installed my New Anderson Timer today, hit the starter button..and nothing.
Odd,I drove it in the barn with the worn out roller timer.
So I took it back apart, and after closer inspection I noticed that the flapper was getting bound up on the end of the cam shaft.
I placed a call to Mark Hutchinson ( maker of the Anderson Timer) for some technical support.
It appears that not all cams are the same.
I need a flapper with a "short barrel".
Mark was very helpful and agreed to send me out a replacement..now that's service!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:08 pm:

Mike,

Did Mark give you any information on when you need a short or long flapper shaft? Do they go by engine year of manufacture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott hohensee on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:26 pm:

If he sells direct, could you please post his phone # i've got a T that i'm converting from distributor back to timer. and from what i see the Anderson is the way to go.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:31 pm:

Dennis,
It appears I may have a replacement cam shaft??
But I'm not the only person who has had this issue.
Thanks to Mark, my T should be back on the road soon!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:32 pm:

His site is
www.tiptoptimers.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:56 pm:

Mike,

I think you'll find that what you have is a timing gear with a hub area that's been made too thick. It makes the timing gear nut stick out too far so that it interferes with your timer rotor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 07:06 pm:

Jerry,
If you look at the last picture you'll see the "hub" is in fact sticking out far enough to hit the flapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hutchinson on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 07:33 pm:

Scott,
I sent you a PM hutch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:58 am:

Mike,
Once you get your fitment issues sorted you wont look back. My Anderson has been a set and forget type expereince. Dont want to see that lovely yellow pickup off the road to long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 07:55 am:

The Nylon timing gears are thicker than standard. The gear nut should be machined down to get the timer roller in the proper position at the time of engine assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:01 am:

When I purchased my Anderson timer a few years ago I believe this was mentioned in the instructions.

The thicker timing gears are an issue also.

When these timers came out years ago the sizing was based on an original Ford steel timing gear so we have to compensate and check to see if anything is different from the original set up which worked OK.
My opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:12 am:

The fiber gears and the newer nylon gears have thicker hubs than the originals. I use the nylon ones and have ground the cam nut shorter in the past. The last few gears I bought from Lang's (with a half-tooth advance built-in) have a shorter cam nut included with the gear. I like that kind of service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:13 am:

The new nylon timing gear I got came with a nut to compensate for the thicker center section. Can's say for sure that they all do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 04:21 pm:

Just received and installed my replacement Anderson Timer and spacer set.
The old Bumble T sprang back to life.
We are back on the road!!
Thank you Mark Hutchinson for your quick service!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott hohensee on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks for the info Mark, i'll be putting one of your timers on my T as soon as i get my engine back from snyders.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hutchinson on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 07:46 pm:

Mike, Scott,
Glad to be able to help. Sure is fun to be up and running. hutch

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration