Removing Driven Gear from Brake Drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Removing Driven Gear from Brake Drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 10:31 pm:

Have a computer challenged friend who asked me how to remove the driven gear from the brake drum as he will have to replace his drum. I found the procedure in the Service manual under overhauling transmission and will be passing that info on to him, but does anyone have any tips for him to make it an easier job? (its a 14) What type of puller works best? Is a special Ford service puller required?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:00 pm:

The factory Ford puller works great - I can borrow you one, if need be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:42 pm:

Steve, What's the number on the factory puller? I may already have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:02 am:

Factory puller is not mandatory. I use a split bearing puller. Works great. BUT you need a slug to fit inside the brake drum shaft to pull against. I made a steel plug that fits into the id of the brake shaft bushing, with an od small enough for the gear to fit over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:09 am:

Hello Terry: I saw the post this morning and enclosed is a picture of the gear puller. it works for all model T's and not just for a particular year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:50 am:

I think the real challenge is holding the drum assembly when trying to remove a stubborn driven gear.
They dont always come off fairly easy.

I think another question would be how to hold the drum assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:01 am:

John,

One way is to attach the above puller then clamp the puller in a vice by one jaw. This lets you crank the puller without trying to hold the drum assembly.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:08 am:

Ditto what Tim stated to - secure the puller in the vise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:15 am:

Thats one way to do it Tim.

If I remember the Ford shop manual showed a drum clamping device mounted on a bench.

The last gear I removed from a drum assembly I had to use a cheater bar on the wrench to get it off. It was tough the whole way to remove it.

The bench wasent attached to the floor so I had to block it from moving. This was the hardest to remove compared to the others I had removed.

I guess the tolerances were borderline on either the gear or the drum shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:19 am:

I have to add that this is one of those instances that Ford assumed each shop would have the type of holding device as shown in the manual.

You have to use another method from time to time and use your imagination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:27 am:

Thanks to all. I have the type puller shown by J and M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:43 am:

Terry : I use this homemade puller .
163R
164R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:06 am:

I use the Ford puller and put the square-head bolt in the vise, then turn the puller arms with a large Crescent wrench. Works great for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 08:40 am:

I use a three leg puller with a hydraulic ram. The ram enables greater pressure to be exerted without the hassle of trying to hold the drum assembly. The pressure is applied gradually, with little real force needed on the nut. I can hold the drum assembly with one hand and work the wrench with the other.

As an aside, the puller set is an English Sykes Pickavant brand, top quality stuff, still in an unmarked toolbox. It was marked as a ball joint remover and priced at $90 in a pawn shop. They didn't know what it really was, and the jerk who stole it didn't know either, or he would have held out to a figure closer to the $940 I was quoted for a new one.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration