What would you do?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: What would you do?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 06:14 pm:

The steering spark and throttle rod spring cups, throttle rod lever and spark rod lever are all 'frozen.' Is it worth the effort to try and get the pins out or is it common to just cut the rods and replace? Thank you in advanced.

Incidentally, aren't the rods suppose to be brass plated on a 12? Or is that just early 12's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 06:27 pm:

The rods would have been brass plated from 1909 through 1916. You will find evidence of the plating under the quadrant and in other areas not exposed to the weather.

You can drill out the pins easily and have the rods replated. I think it is worth the effort to save the original parts if it is possible. Those look nice to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 06:40 pm:

Royce, I detected a typo in your answer. It seems your computer put in the word "easily". Having just completed this task I now type carefully enough to prevent my keyboard from making that slip up.

To remove those rods you do have to remove the pins on the spark and the throttle rods, the pins on the springs AND the pins on the cast brass quadrant/steering case. You have to then pull the steering case out to get the levers out.

The levers have to come out if you are going to plate them.

When you are done you have to replace all the parts including new pins.

It can be done, but it is one bear of a job to do well. I ended up having to weld on replacement sections of the rod after the original broke during the re-peening process. So my suggestion is to not do the job if you don't have to. If you must, cutting the rods will be easier than trying to strip it all down.

Robert, you have options, please let us know what you end up doing.

----Warning, thread drift----

I've been trying to find some way to brass plate parts and would love to hear from anyone who has been able to do that.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 07:07 pm:

I have disassembled two early 15 columns,and have found no evidence of any,repeat Any plating anywhere. I asked Bruce about it and he confirmed most were probably just steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew David Maiers on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 07:31 pm:

Being a veteran of many "wars on rust" that job is much easier than many. yes it takes patience, penetrant, heat and persuation but it can be done and original parts saved. i doubt the repro parts are exactly like the originals anyway.

brass plating wears away quickly, i have parts on my car that were nickled that have no sign of plating whatsoever.

do not destroy good useable parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 08:34 pm:

For both cup pins and lever pins, I'd cut them off flush with the rod with a small grinder and drive them out with a punch. Only if that didn't work would I drill them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 08:45 pm:

Use the blue wrench on them aka Acetelyne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 08:56 pm:

Take you time and save those rod and levers, those are good shape. Let Kroil do its wonders on those fittings.

The cups are not made to match those originals, and the springs are fine. Those levers can be re-used.

Removing the rivets is fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:01 pm:

Terry,

I've done all that a few times. I enjoy rebuilding a steering column. It is straightforward easy stuff for me to do with the tools I own and the experience I have. Not saying it is easy for everyone. Take a look at Dan's pictures, he knows how to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:15 pm:

Being a retired maintenance mechanic/locksmith, careful use of heat would be what I would do.
Heat the parts to a dull red and cool off.
Do this 2-3 times then use some type of penetrating oil and carefully file or grind off one of the ends of the levers flush.

Then use the correct size punch and drive the pins out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 09:33 pm:

Robert-
Do not cut the rods. Clean then up with wire wheel, electrolysis, or media blasting and take it apart like Dan says.

Terry-
I brass plated my gas and spark rods using a Caswell Plug 'n' plate. The plating is not nearly as good as a professional could do, but the alternative to to take the whole thing apart and replace the rods with solid brass and I am not ready to do that. The plating is probably about as good as Ford's original plating, which was not up to today's standards. But my steering column is restored to factory standards.

Here is before:

During:

Finished:

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration