Remember to lubricate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Remember to lubricate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 03:15 pm:

Gee, what a well-preserved bushing! No wear at all.

Unfortunately the reason for that is that it never moved for many years because it was rusted tight. I tried putting the perch in a vise and moving the hanger with along pry bar, but all that did was move my work table. I finally got the hanger to move by squashing it in a press. This is a good argument in favor of regular oiling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 05:37 pm:

Great advice. I do not lube every time I take a car out but always feel guilty for not doing it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 06:40 pm:

My grandfather used our TT on his ranch from 1946 until 1963. Then it went to my uncles ranch. I don't think either of them believed in lubricating anything. By the time I got it in around 2002 and started working on it, pretty much everything looked like Steve's shackle.

When I was 16 I worked the summer for a CA central valley farmer raking hay. On my first morning he showed me around the tractor and rake, showed me where all the grease fittings were, where the oil dipstick and radiator cap were, etc. He then instructed me in the value of checking everything and greasing every fitting every morning before starting. The value, he explained, was that if I didn't do as instructed I'd be unemployed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 09:16 pm:

When I worked for the auctioneer/excavating contractor in the fifties we always had to get there a half hour before we left for the job to grease every fitting on the trucks, backhoe, etc.
The boss always said,"Grease is cheaper than iron, don't be afraid to use the grease".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:02 pm:

One of the only things I have found a use for the 600w oil sold by the vendors is for the King pins and other oilers, front and rear. It clings, works great and only needs to applied about monthly if you drive your car a lot.

Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration