What Solder for Brass Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: What Solder for Brass Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 06:31 pm:

I'm repairing my Brass Tail Lamp and wonder what is the Best Type of solder to use. I have some 50/50 that I've used in the past and also some sticks that I got from Radiator Ralph before he retired his business.

Surfcitygene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 07:02 pm:

Gene,

This helped me a lot:

http://www.hcca.org/BOARDS/viewtopic.php?t=9&highlight=brass+lamp+repair

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 08:37 pm:

Gene
That seems to be a great article. With brass the annealing they talk about is absolutely critical. One other thing. My experience is to never try to work brass hot. Anneal and cool it. When it starts to work harden (and it will very quickly) stop and anneal again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 09:54 am:

Ditto that - the brass will crack / tear easily when hot. Let it cool completely or quench before doing anything to it!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 02:25 pm:

Thanks, Royce. I found lots of info on the web sites but I'm not sure about using a dam.
I saw where someone used "White Out" for a dam and eliminate solder flow on the unwanted areas. I wonder if its the same stuff we used to use when we had typewriters? I'll try some today if the bottle is still good.

I did get my cracked Red tail light lens replaced. Thought it would be harder than it was. Its an original light so it's not simply soldered on the outside of the frame.

Anyone used the Muggyweld products? They really look good but Expensive!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration