Quick Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Quick Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 06:35 am:

Hi Guys.
What factory (location) was the Model T Tudor Sedan being built at in Feb. 1927?
I'm working on a new trivia sheet for my car. I write them in the first person.
"Hi, my name is 'Lizzie' I was born on February 6th 1927 at the Ford plant in ???? Michigan. I once had 15 million brothers and sisters but most of them are gone now". (You get the picture?).
Any other 1927 trivia (price of gas, things like that) would also be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 07:04 am:

Somewhere I have a CD of period news/documentaries, and one from 1926 had the comment that anybody driving a Ford was considered a failure...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 08:58 am:

Are you sure your car came from Michigan? A Florida car could have been assembled in Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, etc.

Most public libraries have newspapers on microfilm. Go to the library and print out a page or two from your local paper for 2-6-27. That will show what was going on and the ads will give a taste of the cultural flavor of the time. WARNING: Out Our Way and Our Boarding House are addictive. You may find yourself spending hours going from day to day reading the comics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 01:44 pm:

Uhm would they all be sisters? Just saying. lol

I like that idea it will be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 02:19 pm:

Steve, it came from Tennessee before the old man I bought it from, bought it many, many, years ago. I had some 'issues' with the Florida DMV when I tried to title it because the title said 1928 instead of 27, so I had to trace the title back to prove that the Tennessee title said 27 before the Florida DMV idiots screwed things up. That's as far as I went.
Anyway, I'm not dealing with 'purists' here, I just want to know if the plant was in Dearborn or someplace else in Michigan. That will be close enough for what I'm doing. I've had favorable comments in the past, using this first person narrative as opposed to just dry specifications. When it starts with "Hi, my name is 'Lizzie", even the women will take the time to read the whole thing. :-)
I'm sure I could 'google' everything I need to know but being the lazy ol fart I am, I just thought I'd start here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 02:35 pm:

Dennis, isn't life a lot better once we realize we're no longer energetic young studs and that we really are "lazy ol fart"s. One of my cars is named Lizzie but I named the touring Emily. I was going to use Jenny but I thought Emily was a little more unique. In 1927 my Grandmother died in childbirth. She bled to death. The baby "Ruby" died 6 months later of what they called consumption. Which to me is about the same as saying she died of dehydration and starvation. Prior to this My Grandfather had packed my Dad and the rest of the family up and moved them from Cushing MN to Grand Rapids MN. He'd lost his farm because he couldn't keep up with the bank. He became a junk dealer in Grand Rapids. So I guess if you want to pass along information about life in 1927 you can say things like The price of eggs was 17 cents a dozen and women died at childbirth in their own home because there wasn't any medical care and that babies died of "consumption"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Norco Ca on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 02:42 pm:

Dennis when you finish it,post it here,sounds like it will be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 04:19 pm:

Here's a first draft, subject to change.
Hi. My name is 'Lizzie'.
I was born at the Ford plant in Highland Park Michigan on Feb. 6th 1927. I had 15 million 'brothers and sisters' born between 1909 and 1927. I'm one of the babies of the family, most of my brothers and sisters are gone now. Model T Ford production ended a little over 3 months after I was born on May 26th 1927. I'm called a Tudor Sedan, (not 2 door Sedan) and I'm a deluxe model with all the available options, (bumpers and a spare tire). I cost about $450.00 new, about 3 month's pay for a Ford employee at the time.
Originally, I had a 22 horse power engine but I've been 'beefed up' a little in order to survive in 21st century traffic. I have about 50 horse power now but I still don't have front brakes, so stopping isn't something I do very well.
My daddy Henry Ford, made me with the best quality metals available, that's why there are still 60,000 of my brothers and sisters 'putting around' world wide, even in Russia and we plan on being around for a while yet.
I'm not what is known as 'restored', I'm a 'survivor', an 86 year old 'Used Car'. I have been repaired as the need arises but I've never been completely taken apart and rebuilt from the ground up. My upholstery is torn, I'm a little rusty, my wheels wobble a little bit but I get around as well as any other 86 year old does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 04:37 pm:

....and better than many...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 06:02 pm:

Well, you get the idea where I'm going with this now. It's not a 'facts sheet'. It's more of a story told from the 'personality' we all know our cars have deep down inside. :-)
I know for a gospel fact that the rest of you talk to your cars just like I do. This would be more like if they could talk back in more than a mechanical way.
This isn't the first one I've done, it's just time to revise the old one a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 08:15 pm:

Dennis,
That is wonderful!
Yes, model Ts do have personalities, bad days, good moods.
I hope things are going well for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 08:46 pm:

Dennis,

Great way to help introduce folks to the cars.

I donít know if you can weave in a few additional details and keep the story as lively. But approximately 5,427 of the 64,146 Tudors built in calendar year 1927 were produced at the Highland Park Ford Plant in Detroit. The rest were produced at other USA assembly plants. Total World Wide Tudor production for calendar year 1927 was 78,105. And the USA production for all Ts was 347,741 and world wide production was 450,415 in calendar year 1927. Ref Bruce's (RIP) book page 472 and his CD.

Have you checked for a birth mark, I mean assembly plant marking on the floor sills next to the front floorboards? Some of the later cars have them and some have a date code in that same number. Please see http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111490.html

Some minor suggestions for you to consider:

Hi. My name is 'Lizzie'.
According to my medical records my heart, some of you use the term engine, was created at the River Rouge Ford plant in Detroit Michigan on Feb. 6th 1927. And I was probably assembled within a few weeks of that date by the nearest Ford Assembly plant that was closest to the dealer that helped find me a new home. .

Ok, that probably is not as inviting as your original version, but it is offered for your consideration. And of course we donít know for sure that the engine was assembled in Detroit, but if it was Ė it would have been assembled at the River Rouge.

And helping introduce folks to the car is more important than being totally accurate. After all Ė Llizzie is up in age, so if she forgets and gets a few of the facts wrong Iím sure they wonít hold that against her.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 09:28 pm:

Thanks Hap.
I printed up something close to what I posted here for use in the Saturday car show. It's just a few days before 'Lizzie's' 86th birthday. The old girl hasn't been out of the garage for 6 months and needs a little exercise.
I like the extra trivia you just contributed and I'll find a way to use some of it in the final one.
My daughter has a degree in 'Information Services' and I'll have her print up the final one on glossy photo paper, with a fancy border and all that stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 09:45 pm:

Thanks Hap.
I printed up something close to what I posted here for use in the Saturday car show. It's just a few days before 'Lizzie's' 86th birthday. The old girl hasn't been out of the garage for 6 months and needs a little exercise.
I like the extra trivia you just contributed and I'll find a way to use some of it in the final one.
My daughter has a degree in 'Information Services' and I'll have her print up the final one on glossy photo paper, with a fancy border and all that stuff. Thanks for the assembly information links too. I'll do a little homework on that as well. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration