Sleeping in your T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Sleeping in your T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:06 pm:

Hello all,
I hope every one had a fun valentines day! Since this holiday involves beds for the adults I wanted to know what beds where out there for the model T? I have heard of a few, from one that the front bench back folded down and you made a bed from the seat cushions, to one where the rear part of a touring, call it a trunk hatch, would fold down and one would fit their bodies into the space (underneath the rear bench seat), and also the hammock /stretcher beds that would go from windshield frame to rear deck (you see this one in the T accessories booklet) anyone have information on these three or any others out there?
I wouldn't mind trying to build the hammock beds/stretchers that would make an interesting kit...
Thanks for any info. As always pictures/drawings are welcomed!
Thanks,
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:40 pm:

I know there were various schemes for sleeping in a Model T when people on average were smaller, but the prospect of trying to contort six feet of me into even a touring in a reclining position holds no charm. Instead, I plan to build a Model T camping trailer with enough room for me to stretch out. I have a lot of the parts to do it. The obstacle will be finding the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:56 pm:

Not looking into campers.... More into the creative minds of how people kept the T looking like a T but still having the ability to make a bed in case of emergency or just a really long trip... Or a comfortable place to ride out the night after a bottle of Jack off the floor and protected by the elements!! I would like to see if anyone has more details on the "auto bed for two" stretchers these look like an easy to build project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 12:38 am:

I'm kind of interested in this hammock kit idea. I've been thinking about a hammock to go in my camping gear when I take the pickup out on a nice weekend cruise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 01:47 am:

......this could develop into an interesting thread.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 03:35 am:

Was there an accessory of the day thread with that fold down seat/bed thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:17 am:

I think one that looks relatively comfortable but probably weighed more than some other options was the Schilling's Auto Camp. There is a thread at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/153229.html?1280586085 that includes patent links for more detailed drawings. I would guess that a functional replica might be made from a fold out camping bed modified to mount to the running board.

The T below has a very similar idea but the frame appears a little different.

The Tent Top Camping Chapter probably has some good photos etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:24 am:

Sorry -- I forgot the link to the thread where I snagged the Model T photo. It is: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/107007.html

It also has a shot of the inside of the running board tent. Note the T has the single rear window rather than the three window style, equal length windshield hinges and a black radiator. If all those parts are original to the car -- it would be an early 1917.

And it has some good photos of some small pull behind camping trailers also.

Spring is coming ... time to get those campers ready....

Respectfully added,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:46 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:40 am:

Occasionally something on the forum makes me laugh out loud. The house-car does it for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:11 am:

Looks like the super rare Bunga-T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:34 am:

A good fair weather solution. Not recommended for those who like to sleep on their stomach or with their sweetie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:57 am:

That was exactly what I was going for. Seriously, I have seen ads for goofy contrivances aimed at making the T into a bed. All looked not comfortable to even the smaller folks back then. Wish I had a few photos of them. I believe there are some in one of my books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, North Carolina on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 10:58 am:

In the last book I read about Model T travel, "Motoring to Yellowstone in Slim's Model T", Slim wasn't too comfortable sleeping in his bed that stretched across the seats of his touring. Slim was 6'2". His friend however, was comfortable.

Here we have a bed in a coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:09 am:

There was a gentleman from Ca on the Canyonlands tour in 2009 that had a touring car with a fold down seat back,it was not home made and was a very nice unit.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 01:32 pm:

Chris, is that the Mrs. on the other side of the car, hunting you down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 05:27 pm:

There is a free download of the book "MOTOR CAMPING" by J.C. and John D Lyons ( pub. 1923)
at
http://archive.org/details/motorcamping00longrich

that shows several bed set-ups with dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 05:58 pm:

Ron, neat book. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:31 pm:

Is there no one posting here who gets the Vintage Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:10 pm:

R.V., good question but that photo was taken on the 2011 Cowboys & Coalmines Tour in Pincher Creek, AB, and the Lady Michelle was back home in Edmonton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:21 pm:

Here is the Auto bed for two I was taking about... anyone have any info on these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:25 pm:

My great aunt Mary on an outing at the Schaar Ranch near Holbrook, Arizona. Marry Anna Brown is 2nd from the left in the first photo, and with her chuck box and reclining on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:26 pm:

I sleep right in the seat of my T. Usually some other driver honks their horn and wakes me up before I run into something though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:34 pm:

okay let me try the attachment once more... okay got it... I guess the size was too big
bed for two

Here is a link to Gen III Antique Auto Camper car... Now this is more like it! Looks very comfortable and could be an interesting Touring project especially for those that like to do cross state/country trips!

http://gen3antiqueauto.com/Campcar.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Spies - Ft. Walton Bch,FL on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:40 pm:

Here's my version of a T model camper. Its called a Telescoping Apartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:42 pm:

Okay found the good night sleeper thread on the forum... again this IS the way to go!
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/45509.html?1200505845

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:59 pm:

That fold down front seat was exactly the one i was thinking of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 12:02 am:

In the last issue of the MTFCA Vintage Ford,(Nov,-Dec, 2012) Peter Kable wrote a great article about camping in a Model T. There are many pictures of car beds, running board beds, and trailers. This is part one of a two part series. I am looking forward to part two.
Thanks for all of your efforts, Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 04:07 pm:

I don't have the last issue since I just renewed my membership after a 2 years in the trenches. Here are the pictures from the link to one of the threads I posted... Would love to put this kit on my future touring T... Then if my wife asks (tells me more like it) to sleep on the couch tonight I can say NO I am sleeping in the T! HA! who's laughing now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 05:27 pm:

Steve Jelf the housecar is in Smiths car museum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 02:14 am:

I don't know about the folding seat idea. The interior of a touring isn't really all that wide to begin with and two people sitting in the front seat together is gets real cozy. But this option looks like you lose about 3 or 4 inches on both sides, because of the armrests curve.

The tent on the side looks like a better alternative to me, that or the campers delight (don't have a picture of it though), which is really a tent made of duck canvas with a large covered porch to park your T under. There's a picture of one in the "Guide to the Unofficial Accessories for the Model T Ford" book. That way you could set up camp and still drive your car to the store or something if you needed to, come back park it under the porch cover and keep tree sap and bird droppings off it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:52 am:

It is not a T (I think it is a Stude), but here is a picture from my parent's 1926 honeymoon camping trip.

1926 camping trip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:40 am:

I had a chance to see Herb's camper up close at the Hilton Head Island Concours last year, and it is a REALLY neat piece of work. It is very clever they way it all fits together, and the construction is very well done.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration