Old Photo - 4 x Canadian 1910's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Old Photo - 4 x Canadian 1910's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 04:13 pm:

I saw this photo on the Veteran Car Club of Tasmania's website. What a cracker photo of four early 1910 Canadian Fords all together.

Photo courtesy of the Veteran Car Club of Tasmania.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 07:11 pm:

David,

Great photo! Evidently prints can be ordered through Picasa? The link to the photo is: https://picasaweb.google.com/vccamembers2/GordonFyshPhotoAlbums?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJq1qLa6w_rY3AE&feat=directlink#5768128939964627362 You can download a 427 kb photo that is a higher resolution than the one originally posted. And I think we might even be able to order something higher resolution than that – but I’m not sure.

It took me a little while to locate it – lots of old car photos but only a few of Fords. From memory (not nearly as good as it once was – it was like photo 264 of 265 or something similar where it was about the last one. Note if the date of the reliability trial was Nov like several of the other reliability trials then Nov 1910 would also allow a 1909 Ford to be in the photo. Note that the three cars on the right have numbers 524, 525, and 526 and the car on the far left has 550. Do you know if those were the rally numbers or could they have been license tag numbers? Note I did not see the support bar in the lower part of the radiator – but I do not know when or even if Ford of Canada adopted that like Ford USA did during the 1910 production.

Below are some zoomed in shots from the same photo: Photo courtesy of the Veteran Car Club of Tasmania.
From left to right:

Again, thank you so much for posting the photos!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:02 am:

Well done Hap "Sherlock" Tucker to even find the album; I am very impressed indeed!

The change to RHD was around July 1909, these could well be 09's then. I am assuming the numbers are Tasmanian registration numbers. I always error later and like to be corrected earlier if applicable.

I do not know when the support bar came in; I usually assume 1910 also. Perhaps somebody can chime in and help...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 04:03 am:

I wonder for how long roll up windshields were supplied with the tops? Did they continue after regular windshields became standard equipment by october 1 1909?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 06:31 am:

Roger,

Good question about when the tops with the roll up windshields were discontinued. In Bruce McCalley’s (RIP) book “Model T Ford” [available hard copy from the club at: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/model-t-ford-the -car-that-changed-the-world as well as the vendors and an updated version on CD available at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853 ] There are 18 USA sample shipping dates for Sep 1909 listed on page 484-485 of Bruce's book. One is an engine only to Canada, 1 is a Tourabout (no windshield), 1 invoice was missing - #10,600, 1 was a Town Car and the remaining 14 were touring cars. Of those 14 touring cars 6 had windshields annotated. There were approximately 1184 serial numbers produced that month (or shipped as a complete engine to Canada for production there). For Oct 1909 listed on page 485 of Bruce's book there were approximately 1254 serial numbers produced (again some engines were shipped to Canada for production there). Of the 15 sample numbers Bruce listed for Oct 1909, there were 2 Town Cars, 1 engine only shipped to Canada and 12 touring cars. Of the 12 touring cars all had windshields listed. While there are 1239 numbers that are unknown in Oct 1909 of the 12 that were listed (Bruce tried to list every 100th invoice as a sample and added things he saw that were interesting as well as the first and last serial number produced each month. Note also that cars were still produced in batches by teams so serial numbers were not consecutive but representative.) So based on that very small sample size approximately 1 percent – it appears that there was a decision to equip all USA cars with windshields starting in Oct 1909. If others with Oct 1909 or later shipping documents could let us know that the shipping documents all had windshields or if there were exceptions to that – it would be greatly appreciated.

But we do not know if Ford USA continued the roll up windshield on the tops into Oct and if so for how long 1 month, 2 months? I would guess there would have been some overlap – but I have no idea how much in the USA production.

The harder question is when did Ford of Canada transition to cars with glass windshields and without the roll up windshield? In some cases Canada was years behind a change that the USA implemented – such as going to the plain transmission pedals. Ford USA switched during 1915 production while Ford Canada continued the ribbed pedals into the mid 1920s. And in other cases Ford Canada introduced the change years ahead of the USA production for example the slanted windshield and one man tops – Ford Canada was at least two years ahead of the Ford USA [that is another area I hope to start a thread and nail down a better date on when it occurred – but clearly long before the USA introduced them]. And in some cases the horn button on top of the steering wheel or the belt driven generator – Ford Canada introduced them and Ford USA never produced them that way.

To help us have a better understanding of when Ford of Canada went to the windshields and discontinued the roll up windshields – anyone with early photos of Canadian cars with some sort of date – they would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any additional information that would help us with that detail, it would be welcomed.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 06:35 am:

And one additional photo of number 550 from the other side. That was also in one of those albums. I thought I had posted that last night, but I guess I only saved to my computer. If you zoom out a little it appears better -- I did a screen capture on this one and I need to go back and do a download. If someone else locates it -- please post a link for the download.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 08:32 pm:

Roger,

Yes, for USA production the roll up windshields continued to come with some of the tops even after the windshields became standard. While looking for some other information I ran across the following from Bruce McCalley’s (RIP) data Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1909-10H.htm where he shares: “Interestingly, the roll-down front windshield curtain (on some top assemblies) came even though the car also had a glass windshield. This arrangement continued well into 1910 when windshields were supplied on all cars. It is not known if all cars came with this windscreen.”

Of course we still do not know if the Canadian cars continued in the same way or changed at a different time. Three is always more to discover or rediscover.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration