Now this is a NICE Speedster!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Now this is a NICE Speedster!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:31 am:

I wouldn't mind having this puppy in my garage! Anyone know something about this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:33 am:

It's got a flat tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:38 am:

RAJO OHV set-up w/exhaust out the D.S., Neville Slider fatman wheel, Hartford friction shocks, over & under front radius rods, independently mounted rear radius rods, D.S. mounted speedo drive - quite the speedster !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:47 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wldgqhmicw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:00 am:

I believe that car belongs to Ed Archer from California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:05 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/261147.html
The car and particularly the radiator shell were discussed in this thread a while back.
I love that car every time I see it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:05 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3eDG5oMT98

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:13 am:

Ed gave me a ride in his (this) car two years ago at the Speedster Reunion in Lincoln, NE. What a ride. He took me out on a 45 mile an hour road and immediately we were going 55 mph. We caught up with other traffic and had to slow down.

Photo from the Museum of Speedster and Racer Hall of Fame.

Link:
http://www.mtfca.com/HOF/Fame.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:53 am:

Here is the story of the car:

1915 RAJO FORD SPECIAL
Inducted 2006

Rescued from a Long Beach back yard in the late 1950s, Racer number 4 was brought to northern California to wait 10 years for caretakers Ed and Karen Archer to discover and fall in love with her. It took about a year, but with the help of Vic Sala, Old number 4 breathed fire again in 1968, and has since roared to a modern record likely more illustrious and diverse than any previously experienced; events such as; Endurance Runs, Hill climbs, Autocross, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, mile oval tracks, 2-1/4 and 1-3/4 mile closed circuit tracks, 2 visitor laps at speed at the Indy 500, many tours and driving events, several times driving over 5000 miles round trip to attend a 300 or 400 mile tour.

The few changes made since were always in pursuit of era correctness. Retaining original livery colors of yellow with black trim, powered by the awesome Rajo Model B Overhead, dual Juhasz 1-5/8" barrel valve carburetors, splash lubrication plus a small oil tank mounted under the right side fed by hand pump with dash sight feed, fuel pressure by right mounted hand pump for access by riding mechanic, Colombo cross-drive with Bosch magneto ignition, thermo-siphon cooling assisted by belt driven water pump, "dog bone" radiator cap with Boyce Motometer, link chain driven Stewart 120 MPH speedometer and 3000 RPM tach, 30 x 3 1/2 Perlman clincher rim artillery wheels, Muncie 3 speed plus Ruckstell 2 speed axle, suicide front axle with special lowered center to clear hand crank, frame mount radius rods both front and rear, "Z" drop rear with Master external brakes. She's an awesome machine correctly representing the ultimate Ford Racer of the mid-teens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Paulsen, San Buenaventura, Calif on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:41 am:

I like that Speedster, especially in a black-and-white photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 02:33 pm:

That is my long time favorite model T speedster. The first time I saw it was just after it was first on tours. I think it may have been 1968. It looked incredible then, and still does! If I recall correctly, the tour I first saw it at was a HCC "Blossom Tour". I just went on the descendant of that HCC tour with another good friend this past Friday. Ed and Karen were there. They are both wonderful people, truly a class act.

Ed suffers from another affliction I also have. The music of Jimmie Rodgers, the first real yodeling cowboy singing star. Except Ed can sing and play. I cannot play a musical instrument (I have tried, and tried, and tried) and you do not want to hear me try to sing. (Ed, I just checked Wikipedia, Jimmie did die in 1933)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 03:12 pm:

WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!
WAYNE! What is that FABULOUS white-tired wonder-car behind Ed and Karen's Locomobile?!
Yikes, it's so BEAUTIFUL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 03:36 pm:

Studebaker I believe. '17 '16 '15?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 04:03 pm:

Dan,
And comfortable too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:17 pm:

When we were at the Centennial in '08, folks were allowed to drive their cars on the Winchester Speedway, which is a 1/2-mile banked oval track. A 1/2-mile oval doesn't give you much distance on straightaways between the turns. Ed, driving #4, was clocked with a radar gun at 70 mph!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:29 pm:

It does 75MPH? Where can i get one! Wait.. is it still using the standard steering box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:37 pm:

The steering box as I recall is original, and he's running OLD MONTGOMERY WARD tires. I met them in 1975 when they drove from California to Fulton Mo for our Natl MTFCA tour. GREAT COUPLE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 12:55 am:

Richard E,
It is a July 1915 series 16 ED6 355 CID six cylinder 50Hp Studebaker. 1915 is a confusing year for Studebaker. They built both four and six cylinder models all year. From about September 1914 till May 1915 they built the so-called 1915 models. From about May '15 through early December, they built the somewhat larger series 16. By the end of that month, they had switched over to the series 17 which had a number of notable and minor differences from the earlier series 16. The series 17, however, was mechanically almost the same as the series 16. Studebaker actually built three distinctly different model series during the calender year of 1915.
These sixes were the largest and most powerful cars built under the Studebaker name that qualify for the HCCA. Yes, that was the car I spent a good part of Friday in with Dan Haynes. To maintain T topic, Dan has a "couple" Ts also. He sets his coils up on his HCCT and he hates water pumps on Ts. He takes very good care of his cars and enjoys driving them often.

Kep, et al,
Yes, Ed has been clocked at somewhat better than 75mph with a basically stock T steering gear. Well set up speedsters can handle quite well at that speed with a stock steering gear. I am not going to say too much about those tires. I don't want to drive the price of old tires up any (I may need a few more). Suffice to say, Ed and I agree about old tires in general and old Riversides in particular.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 06:52 pm:

I'm afraid to even comment here, you guys are so nice with your comments. To explain the flat tire in the first (B&W) photo, it had to be taken at Sears point raceway in Sonoma CA. 2010 I think, at the historic races. During the race coming out of a medium long straight away I was going into the next turn a bit too fast, probably 55 MPH or so, right turn (less than a 180) and inadvertently drifted more than expected, ended up just barely off the paved track with the left front and rear at a spot where there was evidently a chuck hole. It blew the rear tire, threw the car up in the air a bit and caused me to end up with a DNF for that race. Well....it also nearly caused me to have to change my pants too! Bad weekend!
#4 Out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 06:40 pm:

Mr. Archer,

Thanks for commenting! I am currently building my first speedster and know that i am using yours, Humbles, and Franks for inspiration. Yours is truly a nice speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 09:20 pm:

More interesting shots of Ed and this great machine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blauveltfotowerks/7190251187/in/pool-2051954@N25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blauveltfotowerks/7375496016/in/pool-2051954@N25/

In action.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoidiodyssey/6203689476/in/pool-2051954@N25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blauveltfotowerks/4692198602/in/pool-2051954@N25/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration