Big auction squander

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Big auction squander
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:06 am:

This is one of those times I wish there was some way to edit posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:16 am:

Steve, Jack Benny would be proud of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, North Carolina on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:22 am:

I haven't seen a opening bid of 50 cents for 20 years. A dollar bid is the bottom line now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:23 am:

Is there a record in that box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:36 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGWENAv_oA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:44 am:

Very cool. The going rate for Edisons around here is $2-$4 each unless you buy quantity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:52 am:

Steve: I have one of the old Cylinder phono's that my Dad got back in Missouri and we have a few of the cylinders. That was a good buy if you have the player.

Bill D in
Redding, Ca..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 11:04 am:

Steve,

Looks like you'll have to fire up that spoke press again. :-)

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 11:27 am:

No cylinder (broken), just a nice box.

Lance, in these parts bids of half a dollar or even occasionally a quarter happen when nobody else wants an item. The auctioneer will start his patter with something around retail, but reality immediately reduces that considerably, sometimes to almost nothing. They make it up on stuff that sells for more than it costs new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 02:28 pm:

Nice! A nice original container like that is worth a lot more than that around here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, North Carolina on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 03:26 pm:

Steve, around here when they can't get a dollar they start a pile, sometimes with more valuable stuff and then sell the lot, sometimes the whole end of a hay rack! That way they get rid of the junk to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 05:51 pm:

Yep, that happens here a lot too. Eventually I'm going to collect all the stuff I bought in piles to get something else and have my own auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 09:31 pm:

Those boxes are the later variation of the "gold moulded" variety. The earlier ones say "echo all over the world" below the main script.
These boxes originally held 'two minute" black wax cylinders. The two minute cylinders were rendered obsolete when Edison introduced the 4 minute records in approx. 1908. Edison always looked after his customers and the 2 minute records were made up into the teens. Blue amberol 4 minute cylinders were made until Oct. 1929. The last of the phonographs were made in late 1919. This is a 1904 Edison "Home" model phonograph, which plays the two minute cylinders.
The cylinder on my machine is a pink Lambert cylinder made of celluloid. These were one of the competition's product at the time. Quite rare and kinda pretty :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:23 am:

Well, it wasn't an auction, but, I went to look at a couple of 40 Ford coupes yesterday and the guy had a "few" T parts in his junk. I got a set of 13-14 never used wood top bows (still in the rack), a ruckstel shifter(missing the knob and rod to the rearend), a 26 coilbox, a complete set of rectangular roadster topbows (metal with wood), 3 pieces of a set of oval top bow irons, pr of splash aprons, 1 running board, and some other smalls I can't remember. Cost me about the same as I spent for supper at Ruby Tuesdays tonight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 09:57 am:

I got trapped into buying a pile of crap once, to get one item in the pile, I gathered up my treasures and as I walked past the end of the trailer, I deposited the stuff I did not want on the end. It was kind of funny when the auctioneer got to that pile, he said, I thought we already sold this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick McKay, Mass City, Western Upper MI on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:02 am:

Many auctioneers here won't take a dollar bid now. They like to keep the minimum at five bucks. They just keep adding stuff until they get a bid. I miss the dollar deals.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:59 am:

10 years back I ran into a fellow who was sorting out his collection of Edison Cylinders, some 1 minute and some 2 minute, and I ended up paying $1.00 a piece in the containers. There were 500 so I haven't needed to buy any more since then. For me it was a lifetime collection in one buy. I have restored 8 of the Edison Cylinder players and they are a joy to play especially when the electricity is out. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration