The old truck needed a hood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: The old truck needed a hood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 02:08 am:

I put a new hood on the old truck. It matches the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 02:21 am:

Nice work Jeff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Rowles on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:36 am:

I sure hope the tie-down strap is strong enough to keep the hood in place when she gets up to highway speed :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:56 am:

To paraphrase another Jeff, 'If you have a piece of roofing material for a hood on your truck.... You might be a Redneck'.
'Git er done'. :-)
Just for the record, that's not an insult. From me, it's a compliment. :-)
Like my 'Redneck' ash tray?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 07:34 am:

Dennis, your accessory reminded me of last summer. I pulled a 1938 Silver King tractor out of a shed where it sat since the 50's, and it had an old beer can clamped to the steering post. While we were cleaning the thing up and getting it running, I could not bring myself to toss the old can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:00 am:

Not to worry William. As you can see, there is a lock on it.

Dennis, I covered the roof with some rusty old corrugated steel several years ago, and it is the most commented about feature of the truck. This was a leftover piece that was still around. I keep getting asked why there is not a hood so I decided to try this out. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'll keep it for a while. As you can see, it has a '24 or later high cowl and a '16 radiator, so there was nothing "T" that would fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:07 am:

I think it's just fine. :-) It's nothing that a farmer wouldn't have done in a pinch. Only the 'purists' would have 'a problem' with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:10 am:

Come listen to a story bout a man name Jed.........
That was the first thing that came to mind checking out your truck. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:32 am:

I didn't use roofing material for the hood, but I like my tied-owns better. :-) The bungi cords are easy to put on and remove.

I bet I'm the only one on this forum who has a genuine 1954 Wheaties license plate. Look closely at the wood just to the right of the passenger side windshield. It's pretty faded out, but I put that there with my grandfather in 1954 fresh from the Wheaties box, and it will stay there as long as I'm around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:47 am:

I love it. Don't forget to install the barbed wire to fire the plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:07 am:

That can't be a Red Neck T ,It's shoes it from the left coast "LONG BEACH MODEL T CLUB". I like the purple lenses.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:24 am:

Easy-on, easy-off. Attached to the underside of the metal is a 5/16 rod bent to fit in the hood hinge retainers, so the rear of the hood is held down by the retainer and the front by the chain. If you look behind the right headlight you can see a big spring clip that pulls the chain taut. The lock doesn't do anything, it was just attached to the chain and I don't have the key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:37 am:

Jeff,
Even though your truck is a brass era truck and mine is a TT, based on the pictures I think we have a lot in common. Do you drive yours around much? I love to take the ol' truck out, particularly when I go to Home Depot and such places. The young guys just can't get hold of the idea that the truck is older than their grandparents and ask lots of questions. Not long ago I went for a load of sheetrock and "wonderboard" for a home bathroom project. Being old and by myself that day I let the boys at Home Depot load it for me. At first they were reluctant to actually put stuff on the truck. I had to encourage them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:29 pm:

Henry, it's not a brass era, it just has a brass radiator. The rest is about a '24. As near as I have been able to determine, the Martin-Parry body is about a 1924. It was found complete in the Placerville area of California on e-bay several years ago. The rest is a conglomeration of parts that the guy I bought it from had lying around, but they all come together and look like the truck has just survived through the years with whatever it needed to keep it going. I have added a few things such as the corrugated roof and some rear fenders, but it will never be painted or restored. I even use rusty bolts when I can.

I drive it everywhere and use it like a truck should be used. When I go to the local swap meet, I haul the junk in this truck. It draws attention and hopefully buyers, but many can't believe that I actually drove it to the meet, let alone hauled all of the junk too! When i go to shows, I have several different themes that I use depending on my mood. I have a rusted out wheelbarrow and some rusty shovels, rakes, etc. or some old wooden crates and boxes, several old trunks, some feed and grain bags, a rusty scale and fruit basket, whatever I feel like on that day.

Here it is bringing home a new washer and dryer. You should have seen the guys faces when I told them to load the machines in my truck and pointed to that.
This is before the roof and fenders were added.

For more pictures and such look at the 2008 forum http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47039.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:35 pm:

Now when he drives it, it has two Hoods. Will your girls be seen in it, Jeff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:37 pm:

Henry;
Looks like you went under a low viaduct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Paulsen, San Buenaventura, Calif on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:45 pm:

There is something incredible charismatic about a Model T truck that has not been molested. You can be a multi-millionaire, "know" people, willing to spend silly money on your old truck, but none of this will be able to duplicate the real thing. What you'd need is a century of time and a miracle drug allowing you to live when the work is done. I applaud Jeff Hood and Henry Petrino for their trucks and have to admit that I'm green with envy. I don't really have space for another Model T, but if a truck like this comes my way and it's not silly expensive, I will buy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:49 pm:

Richard,
The truck was acquired as farm equipment included when my grandfather purchased an orchard in 1946. It was used to bring in the crop (prunes, apricots, and walnuts) and looked pretty much then as is does now (except for the obvious new wood bed sides). My best guess is that a previous owner just sawed off the cab roof so it wouldn't damage the orchard trees. It worked pretty well. We used it in the orchard until he retired in 1963.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 02:04 pm:

Jeff,

In order to be period correct that washer should be a washboard in a wood tub and dryer a piece of rope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 02:14 pm:

Dennis,

My wife tolerates my old junk as long as most of it stays outside, and she rides in the cars even though they are "exhausty" smelling, but she won't use a tub and washboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:52 pm:

Steve, I used to run barbed wire plug wires on my '27 truck, "Rusty". I ended up pulling the wires off because I got tired of getting bit by them! If I was a bit braver I would go back to them.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:55 pm:

Maybe you could market this product as the Hood Hood
or even the Jeff Hood. Just an idea....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Paulsen, San Buenaventura, Calif on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 06:04 pm:

To illustrate my point:

and, O.T. yet still breathtaking,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 06:35 pm:

Bernard,

The rusty truck gets more attention that the shiny cars wherever I take it, and I find that there is not too many people that are neutral in their opinions of it. Most love it and think it should stay just how it is, and the rest want to know when I am going to "restore" it. They can't believe that anyone would want to be seen in it!

There is another relic in the Long Beach club named "The Widowmaker" that is what is left of a 22 touring (front seat only) with a wooden box on the back and not much else. It has running boards, but no fenders or hood. When these two are parked side by side, we steal the show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 06:53 pm:

I'm with you Bernard. If they can look as crusty as me I love 'em.
Nice pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:00 pm:

Bob said the carpenter ants swarm sometimes when he comes to a stop, adding to the effect. People ganged up on him at the tour in Utah, for fear its wheel spokes would fail. They convinced him to put on some safer wheels.

It does get around.

What I caught him using for a chock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:00 pm:

Don't let your corrugated hood gimp up what looks like a pretty decent brass radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 12:29 am:

Yep, I love Jeff's truck. Got'ta git mine out there with em, I hope this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 12:39 am:

It should be OK Ted. I glued cotton web belting to the underside, but I will keep an eye on it. I'm not real attached to the hood, it's just a something I thought I'd try for a while. I always get asked why there is no hood but I kind of liked it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 06:09 am:

This is 'Barney' nicknamed by its former owner for i9ts 'barn fresh look. Grey paint looks like it has been put on with a broom, upholstery from somethying a little more modern, updated wire wheels. always gets more attention than my nicely restored Fordor???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 10:11 pm:

That's gotta be an old picture, Yassar Arafat has been dead a long time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration