OT - Help, anyone ever research early newswire archives?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT - Help, anyone ever research early newswire archives?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:30 am:

I'm looking for another "needle in a haystack". I'd like to find more about this report of the "tiny Ford and Kulick (Ford race driver Frank). This tiny article appeared in 1 1911 Tacoma Times (WA) news report.

It's hard to believe the report is entirely false, as it's wired from France the day before the race. However, it's also hard to believe there aren't any accounts about the Ford "special" racer and Frank Kulick sailing to France for this race?

We do know by September 30 1911 Frank Kulick and the Ford "special" (410 cubic inch four cylinder engine on a Model T frame) is winning a mile race in the US.

Any ideas where to find more info?

Thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:03 am:

Rob, Your local library would be a good place to ask for research help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:07 am:

Jay,

I'll have to check in Lincoln (we live outside a small town west of Lincoln.

From "Concepcarz" this car had the "fastest lamp" (does that mean it won?) at the 1911 event. It was also in the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (I assume the opening of the movie, when a racer runs off the track, and is later resurrected by Dick Van Dyke into "Chitty",...from memory as a kid, a long time ago :-().

from Concepcarz:
"This Grand Prix car set the fastest lamp in 1911 at the French Grand Prix. It would go on to win at the 1911 and 1912 Ventoux Meetings. In 1969 it was in the movie 'Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" and in 2002 it crossed the awards ramp at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance for having won two awards. It was 1st in class in the Open Wheel Race Car Category and was awarded the French Cup. In 2009, it raced in the Monterey Historic races." By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009

That would be something if a T racer were on the same track with this car.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:17 am:

And from the link:

http://www.ucapusa.com/formula_one.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:41 am:

HOLD THE PHONE! How about a Ford in the time trials in France?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:54 pm:

Rob H,
The recent picture you show above of the 1911 Coltin-Des Goultess may have been taken at the Monterey historic races. You comment "That would be something if a T racer were on the same track as this car". If that photo was taken at Monterey, There very likely was a model T racer along with it at that time. Ed Archer, an occasional contributor on this forum, has been a regular in those races for many years. I see a Bentley behind the Coltin and recall ED telling me about racing against Bentleys and a number of large early foreign race cars with his famous Number 4.
I can't figure out what the number/designation means on the Coltin. Maybe first from Australia?

These photos are copyrighted and besides, I still haven't figured out how to copy them easily. But the following link goes to many photos of cars at the Monterey Historic Races including several of Ed's car, two of which he is closely following a Bentley. One photo shows the back of Number 4 loaded onto the 1925 truck Ed often uses to transport Number 4.

http://atspeedimages.com/search.php?s=Monterey+Historic+Races+Group+1A

There is also a photo of the Coltin on this site, however I could not find one of it and Ed's car together. I do think I remember Ed telling me about the Coltin a couple years ago. I think I remember him saying "You'd o' loved it!" He has told me about the big FIAT several times.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 04:13 pm:

Wayne,
Thanks for the update and info. It turns out a Ford was entered in both the 1911 and 1912 French Grand Prix races. For some reason the Ford was disqualified from the 1911 race, although it made the race day entry list.

For 1912, the Ford went out after 7 laps ( I believe that race was 24 laps total).

I've started another link that shows news accounts of the two races,,and will post this info there later.

Lastly, this was not the 410 cubic inch Ford Special, but a stock sized T. There is also a photo of the competing T on the other thread (link below). Again, another bit of Ford history (a Model T at the Grand Prix) that I had no idea of. The Ford Model T was the only American car entered either year.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/360615.html?1368035732

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:45 pm:

Thank you Rob H!
I had not heard about these race entries either. I have read the other thread also. Nice photo of the Ford from the race (we think?).
Hope you are taking proper care of you!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration