Time to re-tire....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Time to re-tire....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 09:29 pm:

I've never changed tires on a T before and not sure what I need. The catalogs list tubes, flaps and liners for the rims. Not sure If I need the flaps (whatever they are) or the liners. The rims are 21" clincher type. I took my spare apart and there was nothing inside but the tube.
The tires on the car have been there since the mid-40's and have cracks all the way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 09:43 pm:

If your rims are 21 inch,they arn't clinchers. They would be split rims and straight side tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:58 pm:

If they are 21 inch wood wheels you need a flap. If they are 21 inch wire wheels, then just wrap the center with two thicknesses of duct tape or use a rim liner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:34 pm:

I've been given to understand that the Ford factory never put flaps in the tires of any Model T. On the other hand, flaps are reputed to go a long way toward preventing flat tires and blow-outs. Unfortunately, I never got the knack of installing them. I do, however, seem to have the knack of mounting tires without pinching the inner-tube. I've been riding around without flaps since the summer of 2010 and so far, so good. So, if you're like me and can't seem to get the hang of installing flaps, don't be discouraged. There are plenty of folks out there riding around without them.

Send me a private message and I'll e-mail you some information on clincher tires types that are presently available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:43 pm:

Steve, Neat artwork. Everything but the Fisk sign has a Norman Rockwell look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 12:00 am:

Well I just tilted my laptop screen a bit and now I can see that it is signed by Rockwell in faint gray, duh on me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 05:25 am:

Bob, I don't know if Ford fitted flaps to the split rims on 21" wheels, but this is the correct application for flaps. They are there to stop the split in the rim from chafing the tube. When the rim is collapsed, the tube and flap are fitted in the tyre and the whole assembly dropped on. Same goes for other straight sided rims with the lock rings.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 07:34 pm:

I use flaps on all my T's without wire wheels although I know a lot of people don't. All I know is that the early treatises on automobile care and maintenance all say that flaps should be used. I have had one flat because a flap pinched the tube but that is over more than 40 years of touring and in my opinion the problem was the new flap and my carelessness. They do make the possibility of pinching the tube during installation less likely but I think the biggest benefit is avoiding chafing of the tube on the rim. That's my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:11 pm:

You will need one of these rim tools,

http://imageshack.us/a/img407/1036/photomay09220844.jpg

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:15 pm:

PS. Do not put the hooks for that tool in the rim bolt holes or you will pull them right out, in the photo above my 3 year old son is cranking the rim tool into place, the position it is in on the pic is the spreading position, you move the upper parts of the Y to the other side of the rim holes to collapse the rim to fit into the tire.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration