Old Photo - Model T Brass Era Indian Racing Motorcycle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Old Photo - Model T Brass Era Indian Racing Motorcycle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 09:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:09 am:

Jay, another great one. Another good view of the Presto-lite tank and the nickel-ed light.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:26 am:

That is not a racer, it is a street machine and the guy has a racing shirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:01 pm:

I agree with Frank, a racer would have no lights, and I suspect different fenders if any, the front one is pretty low. The bars look right, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:30 pm:

I was going by the handle bars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 03:23 pm:

Motorcycle endurance racing was by far not uncommon in Europe and the U.S. gaining popularity in the Early twenties. These races typically were form 6 hours to cross country events. These bikes would need to have some type of lighting to run at night.

This man in the photo was probably pretty famous and looks as though he was part of the factory team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 03:55 pm:

I doubt he was part of a factory team. He's wearing pretty typical motorcycle attire for that era and is probably an ordinary motorcycle owner/rider. Although the handlebars are cocked-down, racing motorcycles usually have shorter handlebars.

Those Indian script sweaters were common and regular motorcyclists wore them. Likewise for Harley Davidson sweaters.

I have an original photograph of my grandmother's cousin from the same era. He's sitting on his Indian motorcycle and is wearing a similar Indian script sweater.

Here are others wearing the same Indian sweater:

Here is the well known Minneapolis motorcycle dealer, Guy Webb, sitting on a Harley wearing his Harley Davidson sweater:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:27 pm:

I saw this photo and just could not leave it alone. My Dad always talked about his numerous Indian motorcycles he had when he was young and that brought back some great memories. I still have my Dad's Indian literature somewhere so I can't tell what year the Bikes are. Then my racing blood kicked in and I had to find out who this guy in the first picture was. It wasn't easy but Shorpy had the answer. The man in these two photos has to be the same and now we know,"The Rest of the Story".

Thanks Jay

Photo 2
"Baker and O'Brien, transcontinental motorcyclists, back of White House." Bud Baker and Dick O'Brien, whom we first met here. In May 1915 they embarked on a five-month, 10,000-mile jaunt to the West Coast via Indian motorcycle to see the California expositions. Harris & Ewing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:57 pm:

Bud Baker and Dick O'Brien rode tandem on one motorcycle when they took their cross country trip.

I don't think the fellow in the first photo looks like fellow in the Bud Baker/Dick O'Brien photo. Also, it is a different motorcycle.

Here's a postcard signed by Bud Baker that was mailed during the trip that was recently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bud-Baker-Dick-OBrien-Indian-Motorcycle-pc-1915-DC-to-SF-trip-Baker-autograph-/160991287461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257bd418a5&nma=true&si=7aAEP0rK6YaVqb8oZ7vW%252FBn7Tr0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is another photo from the trip:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:56 pm:

Awesome guys, thanks for posting! I have a 14 with the same tandem seat, hopefully one of these days I will git it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 07:49 pm:

Erik, Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I always enjoy reading your posts.
Fred, Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 07:58 pm:

It's not my knowledge - it's just creative Googling....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 08:15 pm:

Those are stock handle bars tilted down to make the girls giggle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration